Hour Meter Question

cut_loose

Hey guys

Me and Dad looked at a boat yesterday with a 70hp Yamaha 2 stroke on it. It was a 2006 model, but here's the thing.

It had only 15 hours on the clock, but the hull was scratched really bad everywhere, some deep scratches too, under the boat was a dark grey colour, it looked, the motor was faded, in other words, it looked like it had done around 300 hours, not 15, is it possible that the owner "changed" the hour meter, and now the motor restarted at 0 hours, and his put 15 hours on it ? Or is the hour meter have something in the motor so if you think a new clock it will stay at whatever hours the motor has done ?

Cheers

Hi, impossible for anyone to tell how many hours such an engine has done-they do not have an on board EMM and all you can go off is an hour meter on the dash, that can be easily replaced or just disconnected. Whenever we have a boat come in here for a trade-in value, if it has an hour meter, I pay no attention to it.

If the price reflects the condition of the boat/engine than it is upto you whether it is a good buy but I would keep on looking if me. What did the guy say when you asked about such low hours?

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks for the quick replys.

Huey, the bloke said he bought it from the country and it only had low hours on it when he got it. I don't know but it doesn't seem right to me, the price is okay i guess, but i wouldn't trust it, i'll keep looking, better to be safe then sorry, thanks mate. :)

Edited by cut_loose

Thanks for the quick replys.

Huey, the bloke said he bought it from the country and it only had low hours on it when he got it. I don't know but it doesn't seem right to me, the price is okay i guess, but i wouldn't trust it, i'll keep looking, better to be safe then sorry, thanks mate. :)

Maybe the meter has clocked it already and its the 2nd time around!

Musty

I thought the inboard computer logged the hours and couldn't be changed, so the mechanic can hook up his analyzer tuner thing and check it. Suzikis give a readout on the tacho at start up that tells you the hours. Maybe individual brands have different systems.