Dyneema Braid

bergo

My friend uses it on his saltiga, it seems fine to me. Reason I was asking because i bought this cheap spool of braid before also called dyneema. It tends to snap/break when i put too much tension on it either spooling or tying knots. With braid I personally prefer the ones with thin diameter which enables me to cast alot further, mainly because I fish Landbased. If you want good braid then I recommend you try Rovex Viros. Good bang for your buck

Dyneema is just one of the 2 trade names of the 2 possible materials nearly every braid is made from... the other being Spectra.

Dyneema and Spectra come in different grades of fibre that are then spun and braided into the final fishing line. Different brands made from Dyneema can be completely different depending on how they were made. Power Pro is a good brand with lots of devotees so you can be pretty confident if you use it...

Cheers, Slinky

Just dont buy that cheap stuff, Fireline as its not real braid. I like Tufline as it has a nice soft feel and the knots tie really well. Depending on the types of fishing you are doing, you can uni knot your leader and its pretty strong. I know some of the jap braid you have to bimini twist / albright and can be time consuming when you have a school of fish on the go. Just have a feel of the braid at the shop too. Global Tackle gave some good advice as they test some of the brands instore and advised me that Tufline was really good. Hop this helps. HM

I'm not usually one to post a contrary view but just a quick word on Fireline.

It's not cheap line... it's very good... but it's different. Lines made from Dyneema or Spectra are also called 'GSP' lines (Gelspun Polyethylene). Fireline is a high quality GSP line but instead of the fibres being braided together, they are heat fused together.

Compared to a braided GSP line, Fireline is not as thin for a given breaking strain (but still much thinner than mono) and is also stiffer, and is cheaper. The stiffness in particular is one reason why a lot of people, me included, like Fireline in light breaking strains... 4 or 6lb braided GSP can be really hard to handle while Fused GSP lines are less prone to casting knots etc. I even have 1lb Fireline on one of my reels.

It's also a reason that Fireline or other fused GSP lines are often a good choice for beginners to GSP lines.

With all that said, those characteristics become a personal preference. I still use braid on many of my light outfits and I don't personally use Fireline or other fused braids on heavy outfits where I prefer the limpness of braided GSP lines.

Cheers, Slinky

I'm not usually one to post a contrary view but just a quick word on Fireline.

It's not cheap line... it's very good... but it's different. Lines made from Dyneema or Spectra are also called 'GSP' lines (Gelspun Polyethylene). Fireline is a high quality GSP line but instead of the fibres being braided together, they are heat fused together.

Compared to a braided GSP line, Fireline is not as thin for a given breaking strain (but still much thinner than mono) and is also stiffer, and is cheaper. The stiffness in particular is one reason why a lot of people, me included, like Fireline in light breaking strains... 4 or 6lb braided GSP can be really hard to handle while Fused GSP lines are less prone to casting knots etc. I even have 1lb Fireline on one of my reels.

It's also a reason that Fireline or other fused GSP lines are often a good choice for beginners to GSP lines.

With all that said, those characteristics become a personal preference. I still use braid on many of my light outfits and I don't personally use Fireline or other fused braids on heavy outfits where I prefer the limpness of braided GSP lines.

Cheers, Slinky

Well said

You will find that Fireline (and similar lines) will need a good few outings to help to loosen it up a little. I was not impressed first time out but after a few weeks of use you will find it a lot more supple and I have come round to its use now. I remember actually speaking to my tackle store about it and he told me to stick with it. Its knot strength is very good.