Fishing Vietnam

steze

Just wanted to share with everyone my excitement as I am leaving for Vietnam in 3 weeks. Im bringing a few rods over and some of my tackle. We are planning to hire a boat and fish over there. Where my family lives, is 5 minutes from the beach so that shouldn't be too bad. My last trip when i was fishing in the prawn farms, These guys were pulling in what seemed to look like Barramundi but correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway If anyone has had any success in Vietnam, please share your stories because Ive been doing alot of research and there isn't much information available. Expect a decent report when I come back.

hey steze ive been back to VN too as thats my motherland also :). But i would be suprise that you could catch anything in there waterways as its probably fished out or to polluted. You can do well in the mega fish farms they have everywhere tho.

Yea I've fished in the farms before and its okay. Where my family lives is in Vung Tau. Ive googled earth and found a ledge ... Most likely ppl fish there all the time but Im very keen to try it out anyway. The majority of fishing in Vietnam is Freshwater. I found a tackle store in Saigon District 6. They got some pretty nice gear there. All in all just want to try it out. Even if I dont catch anything, at least I can tell people I went fishing in Vietnam. haha

Can you give me the web address for the tackle shop in Saigon please.

Also ive been to vietnam and can say the fishing isnt great at all, you might have some luck at places like Halong Bay or some outta Islands.

Good luck either way and look forward to seeing some pic's.

Can you give me the web address for the tackle shop in Saigon please.

Also ive been to vietnam and can say the fishing isnt great at all, you might have some luck at places like Halong Bay or some outta Islands.

Good luck either way and look forward to seeing some pic's.

Check your pm

Didnt luke nguyen catch squid somewhere? He full on fluked it too. Haha

Haha I'm not sure of what he caught. But I actually bumped into him in Cabramatta whilst having lunch. Ive seen some of his shows that was filmed on Phu Quoc Island. Im going there as well, I don't even know if your allowed to fish on that island.

I know for a fact that Phu Quoc Island is a meka for squiding! I got relos out there that squid for a living. At night they got the big boats that go few kms offshore and have stacks of 1000w blubs that they use to draw the squid up and they use the typical el cheapo squid jigs to catch them. Btw i seen some decent fish out there too but all need big ponds in the middle of the water :074:

I know for a fact that Phu Quoc Island is a meka for squiding! I got relos out there that squid for a living. At night they got the big boats that go few kms offshore and have stacks of 1000w blubs that they use to draw the squid up and they use the typical el cheapo squid jigs to catch them. Btw i seen some decent fish out there too but all need big ponds in the middle of the water :074:

Yea me and my family were planning to go on one of those boats. My dad was telling me that they give you handlines to catch them. Im just going to bring my rod and toss out some jigs..

hi Steze, could you please pm me that link as well??

missus is going there in 3 weeks, saigon and vung tao, will

get her to check it out....she had a go last year of some rocks around vung tao

and bumped into a local who was also fishing...he told her not much around

and if there was its probably bait for us.

cheers

tom

I just got back from two weeks in Vietnam, was amazing. There have been floods there recently (Hoi an was submerged) which has made the Mekong Delta very dirty (more so), but has also brought a lot of muddy water around back beach in Vung Tau. Not sure what its usually like, as I went with dad who was there 40 years ago (back then apparently Back Beach was crystal clear).

Getting the Hydra Foil I saw a heap of shore based fishing done around the wharves and rocks at the ferry port in Vung Tau, plus a few beach fisho's off Front Beach. So those two spots at least, but the locals are prob your best bet.

Side note, the Restaurant at the Imperial Hotel does the best steak (Australian tenderloin) you can imagine. I know its typical for a westerner to eat at his hotel, but after two weeks of venturing out, I was dying for a good steak. Give it a go if you get the chance.

I spoke to my uncle who lives in vung tau and he told me about the rock ledge I wanted to fish. He said there are some pretty big fish there but the current there is very strong. I am trying to re think my strategies of how I am going to fish there. And Definitely I will go to eat at the steak place. Thanks everyone for the info. Can't wait to go. Leaving in 2 weeks

• 2 weeks later...