Line

lesta

Hey everyone what type of line would you reconmend for a bait caster it will only be a cheap one just to get started on so i was only lookin for cheap line any help would be great thanks very much.

I would spend more but i'm on apprentiship wages and i don

't have alot of time to fish..

cheers

Guest fishrunner

Being on a budget I would suggest that mart shop, fireline there is reasonably cheap, less than $30-, only for topshotting though(100mtres), otherwise maxima or pink ande(may help with casting and knowing where your line is, - always use a leader though), the last 2 will give you enough for a full spool plus a bit left over.

There are quite a few decent mono lines at good prices.

Hope this helps a bit.

cheers and goodluck, hope you hook up!

... otherwise maxima or pink ande...

47363[/snapback]

Do you know where you can still buy Ande pink? I bought the last of it from Thornleigh tackle, and haven't seen it anywhere else. Great line: I have no complaints after going through many thousands of metres worth of it!

As far as cheap mono is concerned, try anything from Platypus. They're pretty large in diameter for their breaking strains, but if you can live with a few metres less on your spool, all of the Platypus range are very reliable, don't twist too badly and tie good knots.

Guest Target
Do you know where you can still buy Ande pink? I bought the last of it from Thornleigh tackle, and haven't seen it anywhere else. Great line: I have no complaints after going through many thousands of metres worth of it!

correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt ande pink now sold as Hawk?

just what i have heard......

adrian

Guest fishrunner
Do you know where you can still buy Ande pink?

Yeah "mart" at marrickville metro still sells pink ande, I suppose that most of those stores would carry it as there stock lines are usually similar.

cheers

Hawk tournament is a Bayer Perlon line. I have seen many other lines that have the name 'Bayer Perlon' on it though. I'm fairly confident it is the same as ande, I use both pretty much exclusively and cannot tell the difference. I bought a fair bit of ande off ebay a while ago, should last me a few more years. :biggrin2:

Guest Target

Thanks for that Bashir, I thought ande was no longer made and Hawk replaced it - how wrong was I..... I run Hawk on one of my TLD's and on a 10kg penn, no complaints here.

Lesta

Sorry to hijack your posts, but I will add something. Dont go for braid or fireline if your new to baitcasters. Undoubtably you will have some great overruns and birdsnests that you wont be able to pick out, and have to cut the line. Cutting and discarding fireline is an expensive excersize when learning. Mono also casts a little easier than braid/fireline on baitcasters.

Also, I find true braid much better on baitcasters than fireline, seems to flow off the spool through the line guide easier.

Just my opinion.

Adrian

Thanks for that fellas. Haven't been to Bohm for ages: must get up there for a look. By the sound of it, most of you don't hold Ande in particularly high regard....maybe I should be looking for something else. I've had a look at Stren lately: it looks pretty good so far (except for the price tag...).

I haven't come across Platypus Super 100, Bung, so my comment about 'all' Platypus line being OK was perhaps a little bit of an over-generalisation. I never tried out that wacky 'flatline' they had out a while back, either.

All the best, the 'pig.