Kayak Electronics

musty

Hi Raiders,

I was wondering what kind of battery any of you yak fisherman use or have seen used to power the fish finder only.

Ive got it all wired up and terminated just need a battery to hook into. I was thinking something small such as a sealed 12Ah even will be sufficient. I'd rather not be lugging around a big heavy battery.

What are your thoughts/ experiences?

Musty

G'Day Musty,

Back in the old days in Darwin, I used a 7 amp/hour sealed lead acid battery from dick smiths. Worked a treat. Small sounders/plotters dont draw a great deal. Only small battery, dark blue in colour. About $35 if I remember as I recently purchased one for my house alarm.

Here is a link:

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/S3317/sealed-lead-acid-battery-12v-1-2a

Obviously you can buy a higher amp/hour version.

Cheers.

Rob

Edited by DarkHorse

G'Day Musty,

Back in the old days in Darwin, I used a 7 amp/hour sealed lead acid battery from dick smiths. Worked a treat. Small sounders/plotters dont draw a great deal. Only small battery, dark blue in colour. About $35 if I remember as I recently purchased one for my house alarm.

Here is a link:

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/S3317/sealed-lead-acid-battery-12v-1-2a

Obviously you can buy a higher amp/hour version.

Cheers.

Rob

Thanks Rob. I will have a look tomorrow.

Speak soon mate,

Musty

Have to agree with Darkhorse there I use one of those batteries to power the sounder in my boat and have done for quite a few years Think Im up to my third battery in around ten years

That reminds me... When I originally bought my boat the gentleman who wired up the electrics had it all wired to the same battery you buy for $20 or so and use with the prawning light. It powered my sounder and lights and only ever died on me during extended night time bait fishing sessions.

Im greatfull for the delkor deep cycle wired up to the alternator though im never going back! :074:

But its a good point. I guess a sounder alone needs very little power to operate so those batteries are looking the goods. THANKS GUYS!

Musty

I had a Humminbird sounder on my Brooker. Terminated the power wires off the humminbird with the little square connectors that slot over the battery terminals (see web site picture) simple and effective. I would troll and cast ALL day when in Darwin and the battery would last 2 days.

You can also buy a small charger, that simply charges the battery, no cycling etc. It just plugs into the wall outlet and already has the square connectors on it.

They are fairly small and relatively light for there size, a LOT more useful than a deep cycle battery. If you were going to mount an stern mount electric (as some guys do on canoes) then a bigger battery would be the go.

Regarding the boat setup, my cranking battery is only charged from the boat alternator. It powers the engine (obviously) on startup, lights, electric trim and sounder. I thought about a VSR, but have read that most outboards under 100hp are not effective in charging large deep cycle batteries, due to small alternators and output.

After each fishing trip, I just plug in the external charger, firstly for the deep cycle and every now and then for the smaller cranking battery, to keep it "fresh".

My engine supposedly has one of the largest alternators on the market for its size, 17 a/h. Maybe a VSR would be a good idea??

Regards,

Rob

I had a Humminbird sounder on my Brooker. Terminated the power wires off the humminbird with the little square connectors that slot over the battery terminals (see web site picture) simple and effective. I would troll and cast ALL day when in Darwin and the battery would last 2 days.

You can also buy a small charger, that simply charges the battery, no cycling etc. It just plugs into the wall outlet and already has the square connectors on it.

They are fairly small and relatively light for there size, a LOT more useful than a deep cycle battery. If you were going to mount an stern mount electric (as some guys do on canoes) then a bigger battery would be the go.

Regarding the boat setup, my cranking battery is only charged from the boat alternator. It powers the engine (obviously) on startup, lights, electric trim and sounder. I thought about a VSR, but have read that most outboards under 100hp are not effective in charging large deep cycle batteries, due to small alternators and output.

After each fishing trip, I just plug in the external charger, firstly for the deep cycle and every now and then for the smaller cranking battery, to keep it "fresh".

My engine supposedly has one of the largest alternators on the market for its size, 17 a/h. Maybe a VSR would be a good idea??

Regards,

Rob

Mate from everything my boat mechanics told me a VSR would be a great idea even for yours. Previously I only had a 15hp and they recommended not bothering with it as it wouldnt put enough amps out to make any difference but once i upgraded to the 25hp they said it was possible, but ideally they said over 30-40hp would be better.

I find it does make a difference, especially if i do long runs on the outboard and shorter bursts on the leccy, although mostly it works the other way around. I dont consider it a battery charging system. Moreso like a bit of a trickle charge. Other people i have seen like to wack a small solar panel on board, I guess it all helps.

But your right, mine gets charged via smart charger at home after almost every trip anyway.

Musty