Brand Of Braid

bassboy888

Its come that time of year where i will be respooling my baitcaster for a trip up north to chase some Barramundi. The last trip up there (some of you raiders might remember the report) i had lots of difficulty with birdsnests, now it is very likely that it was my technique that failed me. but i still lost losts of line.

At the moment i am looking a few different brands of braid in 50lbs to spool my Calcutta 400b with.

the brands i was looking at are;

Spiderwire in Stealth or Camo (i like the look of the camo)

Suffix performance braid (this is what i used last time, and dad had no issues with it)

Tuf-line XP

Power Pro Spectra

they will all be in 50lb tieing onto 80lb or 60lb leaders and need to hold up to the monduran barra (i am hoping)

Cheers,

Bassboy

I wouldnt risk it

Stick with the braid you have used before and that worked for u

I respooled a reel for my last trip to cairns and used a new braid (power pro) and didnt like it one bit had no trust in the line seem to break very easy

Should of just stuck with my boat braid

Its come that time of year where i will be respooling my baitcaster for a trip up north to chase some Barramundi. The last trip up there (some of you raiders might remember the report) i had lots of difficulty with birdsnests, now it is very likely that it was my technique that failed me. but i still lost losts of line.

At the moment i am looking a few different brands of braid in 50lbs to spool my Calcutta 400b with.

the brands i was looking at are;

Spiderwire in Stealth or Camo (i like the look of the camo)

Suffix performance braid (this is what i used last time, and dad had no issues with it)

Tuf-line XP

Power Pro Spectra

they will all be in 50lb tieing onto 80lb or 60lb leaders and need to hold up to the monduran barra (i am hoping)

Cheers,

Bassboy

the new berkley sense looks the goods and is really thin diameter

Im getting some on the weekend so ill let you know what i think of it

Pete

G'Day BassBoy888,

I have spent a small fortune on braid over the last few months. I have used Sunline PE, Nitlon PE, Daiwa Sensor, Varivas PE, Yamatoyo PE. I was getting A LOT of guide wraps and wind knots with the PE types. I was getting that many that I nearly threw my rod and reel into the water in frustration :1badmood:

The PE lines are VERY thin, almost like cotton.

I ended up buying the Power Pro. I like it. I have found it very strong and ties knots really well.

My biggest mistake was thinking that the more expensive braids are better, they simply were not for me.

I used to use 30lb Daiwa Sensor on my Calcutta 400B, no overruns or birdnests.

Good luck with it.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by DarkHorse