Jigging Rods

Slink

Hi Raiders ,

I love my jigging and have been using a non jig specific rod to do so . I am looking at upgrading to a speciality jigging out fit and wondering if any of you have done so .

If you have , what have you invested in and how does it go ?

I have a 8000 stella that I will be putting on it so thats going to handle the kings but I need a rod.

I have seen some of the japanese rods but they are way out of my budget ( the missus would jig my jewels ).

Thanks fellas

Cheers

Brad

G'day Slink,

I'm not into jigging but I love jig rods for heavy live bait work. I've been using a Strudwick Sic Stick 24-37kg bluewater recently and for a cheap rod, it's performed great. I've put enough pressure on it to literally have me pulled around a boat (and I'm no featherweight) and to bust 80lb leader through the rod.

I've also got a couple of Shimano T-Curves which work great for me (but like I said, I'm no jig man)

Cheers, Slinky

Check out the samaki range

There great jig sticks nice and light lots of power and its a australian company

But hey if u r sticking a stella on it fork out thd coin for a decent stick

Jigging master all the way some thing like a 200gm powerspell would be perfect or the 200gm three king special

If u cant afford then wait and save up

Buy a good rod once instead of buying 2 decent ones

Edited by Framedtrash

Thanks Mr Malinky ,

I guess I am after something that i can also fish with livebait or troll with also too . I haven't seen the ones you mentioned but have heard good reports about the t-curves . Do you use your t-curves for other fishing styles ?

Cheers fellow Slink

Brad

Thanks Mr Malinky ,

I guess I am after something that i can also fish with livebait or troll with also too . I haven't seen the ones you mentioned but have heard good reports about the t-curves . Do you use your t-curves for other fishing styles ?

Cheers fellow Slink

Brad

Absolutely... my ambitions towards jigging always last about half a dozen drops before I decide there are more fun ways to catch fish... :074:

Cheers, Malinky

Gday Boattart ,

What did that set you back and are you using it for other types of fishing ?

Cheers

Hi Brad.

I bought it a couple of years back and it cost around the $300 mark from memory as I remember they were on sale at the time. I inetended to try it for yellowfin during winter and maybe have a go at small Blacks up at Port but neither fish have been really reliable over the last 2 seasons so at this stage it main use has been as an overly expensive bait jigging oufit for slimeys and sitting around in rod holders waiting for the right fish to appear.

I agree with the monster mesh. Its very strong and the price is reasonable. You can pick one up for around $300. As people have mentioned, I also advise to match your stella with a top quality rod, at the end of the day theres no point having top of the range reel and match it with an average rod.

If you've got a nice reel like a Stella why would you buy an average rod? If you do hook a decent fish, your going to be spewing you didn't spend the coin on a nice rod. I bought a Rapala Braid concept pro, and snapped it, crap rod, then bought an Avaya popping/jigging rod, great for popping but too long for serious jigging, now I have a Hots One Pitch Slider, incredible rod, weighs nothing, very very thin, well balanced and strong enough to pull a 90kg Dogtooth in. Upto you mate, I'd match your rod to your reel, you know you want to anyway really.

cheers, Tobe