High Speed Spinning

LeoB

I am really getting into high speed spinning off the rocks and am normally a shimano man but have seen okuma epix and epix pro for a lot cheaper than shimano reels...has anyone got any reviews? Kind of on a bit of a budget and the okuma is about $100 cheaper than a stradic

Cheers Leo

G'day again

Cheers for the replies. Was just wondering ray what's the line capacity like on the daiwa as I'll probably load it up with 15 or 20lb mono as I'll take it up north and try for tuna as well...all I can find is for braid.

Cheers Leo

G'day again

Cheers for the replies. Was just wondering ray what's the line capacity like on the daiwa as I'll probably load it up with 15 or 20lb mono as I'll take it up north and try for tuna as well...all I can find is for braid.

Cheers Leo

My 6500 takes 300yards of 25lb mono, I think the 4500 would take 300 of 15 easy..

I am really getting into high speed spinning off the rocks and am normally a shimano man but have seen okuma epix and epix pro for a lot cheaper than shimano reels...has anyone got any reviews? Kind of on a bit of a budget and the okuma is about $100 cheaper than a stradic

Cheers Leo

By far my favourite spinning reel for high speed off the rocks is my Shimano Speedmaster TSS-4. Old skool high speed spinning reel, graphite body, built to be belted around on the rocks and cop some hard treatment although its old technology, it holds sentimental value. I have also done alot of spinning with an Okuma Epix 60, which has a ratio of around 6.1:1 from memory although that did its quota of 70 million revolutions and caught hundreds on bonito, kings, salmon and other assortments so thats since retired also.

For current models its hard to go past the Daiwa Saltist 4500 for build quality, durability and value for money.

Have you thought about going overhead? If so the new Shimano Trinidad models are AWESOME reels and if i did as much spinning off the rocks as i used to do when i was land based i would definetly look into that investment. Ive watched other guys use them and they cast 80 gram metals for miles, way further than i was getting with my spin gear.

Musty

i recently got a new Shakespeare Sigma 2200 SIG70 model, fairly cheap, for just this purpose.

its got a 5.3 : 1 ratio so not the fastest but def not slow. The model below (sig 60) is 6.2: 1 ratio but a fraction smaller.

I fit about 700 yards of 30lb braid on it. 200 bucks all up for the reel and braid

taken it out a few times and its really sturdy, and got a smooth action. great for beach / rocks where it can get knocked around abit.

its on a special surf casting rod (rated 2-5oz) and the reel balances great on it. Can launch a 80g raider a mile if needed :thumbup:

even better is im pretty sure its a FishRaider sponsor so heres the link :

http://www.purefishing.com.au/reels/shakespeare/spin/sigma-2200-spin/

Edited by bennoz