Lake Conjola Top Water Session

brendong

Headed down to lake Conjola for the weekend to mainly get the place in order for the christmas onslaught but managed to get a quick top water session in.

Like most of the South Coast it has been smashed by recent rain and seeing as the enterance has closed over, there is about 60 to 70cm of water extra covering the entire lake. Word is they re going to try and open it up very soon. They already had too cracks at it both unsuccessful :1badmood: so I'm guessing this time all the planning in the word is taking place so that they don't bugger this one up.

For those of you that know the system i've taken a few photo of the what would normally be small rock walls with a drop down to the moored boats during the summer hols but the water has come over the top. The drop is usuall half meter or so:

Lakes Entrance Caravan park - little beach area flooded

post-4925-074161700 1291542294_thumb.jpg

Lakes Entrance Caravan park flooded

post-4925-093477500 1291542309_thumb.jpg

The water down at the Island View caravan park was just as bad with the boat ramp car park under about 15 cm of water and looks like it has been for some time now.

Infront of the Island Caravan park

post-4925-068184000 1291542334_thumb.jpg

Anyway I still managed to get out and have a shot from the shore yesterday arvo with NW pencils and managed a couple of very healthy Browntings.....(so much tannin in the water all the whiting have turned brown) both smacked my pencil and there were a few fish around so I still hold high hopes for the christmas break.

32 cm Brownting

post-4925-096851800 1291542402_thumb.jpg

35 cm Brownting

post-4925-005999600 1291542423_thumb.jpg

Also walked up to the bridge and there were massive schools of bully mullet but i only had some trebles for hooks so it was a little tough connecting with them on trebles and bread....some monsters in there....i follwed the little lagoon around and there were some massive fish busting up in the middle of lagoon but I think they were just moster mullet but something was harrassing them big time....not sure maybe a couple of jumbo tailor....kind of glad i didn't connect as jumbo tailor and nw pencils or suga pens = $$$$$$ lost on 4lb braid!

How good a jew bait would this be, thinks Lizard Boy? But back she went....

post-4925-068512500 1291542465_thumb.jpg

Any way if the water is brown over christmas I reckon there will be less people venture in for a swim which will mean less spooking of fish :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by Poddy Trapper

Nice one mate, some nice fish there!

Im guessing the whiting up at Nambucca will be darker models this summer, the river is a mess again and there is alot more water to drain out to sea yet.

The whiting are starting to show up in good numbers along the beach at Valla, so finers crossed the the big girls move into the rivers soon to spawn.

Cant wait to get up there for Round 2! :thumbup:

Mick

Been a long while since i have been to conjola.Looks like they have had more rain than we have and we have had stacks.Had a look at Werri lagoon

last sat before visiting friends.They opened the entrance with a bulldozer the other day as the houses were getting close to being waterlogged.Its mud

flats now.Had been planning to put the proangler in for a spin be a long time now.My mate was jogging along the beach and found the biggest mud crab

on the sand so there in the system.If they do open Conjola the beaches will be firing good luck.

cheers.............Roy

Been a long while since i have been to conjola.Looks like they have had more rain than we have and we have had stacks.Had a look at Werri lagoon

last sat before visiting friends.They opened the entrance with a bulldozer the other day as the houses were getting close to being waterlogged.Its mud

flats now.Had been planning to put the proangler in for a spin be a long time now.My mate was jogging along the beach and found the biggest mud crab

on the sand so there in the system.If they do open Conjola the beaches will be firing good luck.

cheers.............Roy

Ha the last time I surfed Werri I snapped my surfboard clean in two and it was only about 3 days old....I've always thought that lagoon behind 7 mile would be a great spot walk the flats and flick poppers at whiting too...must stop on the way down the coast and give it a nudge one day.

Thanks for the comments guys, hopefully I'll still manage a few fish in Conjola.

Bloopin - I'm stinging to get up to Nambucca....I'm not too worried about the water, the last 3 January's its rain nonstop before we got up there and we've still managed to whack plenty of fish...stocked up on the NW's the other day so plan on smacking plenty of breambo's/whiting on the weed beds.....prob head out west to harass the bass population agian and chase a few big croc's as well down at the river mouth and warrell...

I like a bit of colour in the water up there, fish seem to get they aggessive when theres a bit of fresh around.

Stinging to hit these bass in warrel, never tried it up there before!!!!

Im up there for two weeks, thinking of returning around 13th-14th of Jan.

Ive stocked up to, i even had to go buy a bigger lure box to fit them all in!!!! IM BLOODY HOPELESS :biggrin2:

Mick