Botany Troll Trip!

sanger

Hey guys,

Just thought i'd share some info for those planning a trip out soon.

We visted the botany fad on sunday it was showing 20.1. Saw one boat pull in what looked like a 60ish kilo marlin but didnt see any showings of dollies and we had no live baits to drop down (silly move by us).

trolled out past the shelf then down to the haking fad. We found 22.1 in the 160-180m mark and some pretty blue water as apposed to the green surounding the botany fad. We worked long and hard but didnt find a single bait ball the whole day and the current lines were only resonably small.

When we were approaching the haking fad we saw a pup mako of around 1.5 m launch into the air and also saw a large marlin of 100kg + jump and we thought our luck would change but finished with a big donut after putting in an hour or so trolling round the fad and throwing some jigs and down to see if we could excite a dollie and also floated as well as burlying with some pillies but no go.

overall it really was a desert for us with not many birds or bait.

Thats game fishing i guess though! Probably should have spent some more time getting livies before heading out.

Cheers Fishlexic

we headed out on sunday to both fads trolled around for nothing. Dropped live baits and the bot bay east fad for a few undersized kings. Trolled to 12 mile and shelf for nothing.

As you said current are funny and the water is too cold. we saw heaps of birds but also sounded no bait fish.

Shit happens wont be long though.

Oh while jigging at 12 mile we foul hooked the biggest leather jacket which went over 60cm

Hey guys,

Just thought i'd share some info for those planning a trip out soon.

We visted the botany fad on sunday it was showing 20.1. Saw one boat pull in what looked like a 60ish kilo marlin but didnt see any showings of dollies and we had no live baits to drop down (silly move by us).

trolled out past the shelf then down to the haking fad. We found 22.1 in the 160-180m mark and some pretty blue water as apposed to the green surounding the botany fad. We worked long and hard but didnt find a single bait ball the whole day and the current lines were only resonably small.

When we were approaching the haking fad we saw a pup mako of around 1.5 m launch into the air and also saw a large marlin of 100kg + jump and we thought our luck would change but finished with a big donut after putting in an hour or so trolling round the fad and throwing some jigs and down to see if we could excite a dollie and also floated as well as burlying with some pillies but no go.

overall it really was a desert for us with not many birds or bait.

Thats game fishing i guess though! Probably should have spent some more time getting livies before heading out.

Cheers Fishlexic

Yeah mate we trolled past the outer sydney fad yesterday and trolled along the shelf trying to snare a beakie..... nothing.. plenty of nice blue water though....

seemed very quiet for several hours of trolling......

heaps of dolphins....

we ended up at the plomnk hole and got some jackets.....st least we managed a feed..

tight lines.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks all for the heads up as you guys save many of us burning up fuel for not a lot of action . Hopefully a raider got that marlin . Hope to see it pick up for the holidays though !!!!!. See you out there . :thumbup:

Mate that post was from 3 weeks ago, keep in mind ALOT can change on the offshore scene within a few days or even a few km's let alone 3 weeks.

I wouldnt hesitate to have a crack right now. I have mates who have got into some dollies.

Goodluck mate!

Musty