Lake Yarrunga Bass

Mondo Rock

My family and I went for a canoe trip to Lake Yarrunga in Kangaroo Valley on the weekend and, as I have never tried fishing for bass before, I thought I'd pack a rod and reel and a selection of small lures. As I was putting gear in the kayak the bus driver spotted the rod and gave me what turned out to be a good tip: go the poppers.

Well there was no time to fish on day one as it was all paddling and setting up camp, but things definitely looked promising. There were cicadas in the water all over the place and plenty of swirls and smacks to be heard at night around the campfire.

I was up early on day two and thought I'd give this bass fishing thing a crack, so I tied on a little yellow/clear popper and had a flick out from shore right in front of camp. Within 30 minutes I had landed 10 bass up to 30cms, and missed about the same number. To say the action was hot would be something of an understatement. At one point a cicada landed on me and I tossed it in the river to see what would happen: it lasted maybe 2 seconds before being smacked from below.

Now I don't know whether bass fishing is always like this, or whether Lake Yarrunga is particularly good, or whether I was just lucky or what - but guys if you like bass fishing I have to recommend you get a canoe and head to Yarrunga with some small poppers. If I can catch 10 in 30 minutes with zero bass fishing experience I figure it must be on for young and old down there.

And, just to top things off, as I pulled in to the finish spot after paddling 3 hours Sunday I ran into the local angling club releasing 10,000 bass fingerlings into the dam. So no prizes for guessing why it's such a good fishery.