Outboard Parts

vo2c88

Hey guys,

I hope anyone can help me out with this issue.

I had a mechanic look at my motor its been leaking oil down the drive shaft and dripping out of the bottom.When on the ramp its been smoking and actually embarassing.In an attempt to fix it I had contacted the mechanic and it turns out i need to replace the oil pump.Does anyone have any idea of the costs associated with a new oil pump for a 50hp Yamaha, he had said its around $750 brand new which i believe is to be a fair bit.

My motor is a 50 hp 1995 yamaha 2 stroke.

Any comments will be appreciated!

Thanks guys.

Guest Aussie007

get your oil pump blocked off and run the motor pre mixed its a heck of a lot cheaper and you know u wont seize the engine to lack of oil down the track

3x agree! :biggrin2: ditch the pump ive always mixed the fuel myself u cant rely on anything else, all it takes is a mechanical failure and your up sh*t creek, for the extra 5 minutes alot cheaper then a rebuild

my theory anyway, :thumbup:

Nooooo - premix is a pain in the bum!

First things first. Do you know what testing was done to confirm oil pump failure? The motor should have been run on premix and the output of the oil pump measured for a certain period to be to be sure. ie not a quick test process. There could be a few things that could cause what your suggesting. When you start looking at that sort of money a second opinion is worthwhile....a couple of options have been suggested.

If it is the pump, there may be used options around that may be more cost effective.

C.

Guest Aussie007

its a critical item to keep the engine running IMO replace it with new or ditch it and go pre mix as i suggested i would never install a second hand oil pump

oil injection pump assy $245.64 USD$ i can only look up the oil pump from USA sites usually in OZ u pay 2-3 times the amount price is without shipping and maybe the price u were quoted was including installation? contact one of the site sponsors huey might do u a great deal with installation :thumbup: