Quiet Morning On The Bay

adkel53

My regular fishing partner and I have been itching for a decent crack at the lizards in Botany Bay after a few aborted trips due to the crappy weather. Living almost an hour away means we rely on the internet weather services quite a lot to determine if it is worth the trip or not. This morning was one of those days that you dream of weather wise but some one forgot to enlighten the lizards! We arrived at Oatley ramp at 5.45 am and were greeted by a beautiful glassy morning on the bay. :thumbup: We landed a dozen lizards in total and dropped a few more. Alas, only four of them passed muster on the measuring mat and the largest was only 41 cm (they usually go back to grow up!). All the others were 33-35 cm - they kept us entertained but are not much of a challenge.

Around 9.00 am were were drifting over "The Patches" off Towra Point when I noticed something on the surface about 100 metres from us on the seaward side, We decided to check it out and stopped about 40 metres short of what was a V shaped ripple heading our way. Soon a school of kings of 80+ cm length were nearby. There were at least 30 fish bunched up and mooching along the surface with the tide. A couple of casts with the light gear on lizard softies went unmolested and they disappeared. We quickly rigged the heavier rods we had on board (tried for a jewie at Captain Cook bridge around low tide without success) with 6" stickbaits and went in search of them. They popped up again and we each got in a cast into them. It is quite amazing to see three 80+ cm kings suddenly appear behind your lure and extremely frustrating to watch them peel off only a metre or so short of it. :thumbdown: They quickly disappeared again and that was the last we saw of them. We were in less than 2 metres of water at the time. This was a first for me in about 10 years of fishing Botany Bay. I have caught a few around the markers in the deeper water but seeing such big fish in the shallows was a real buzz. As they say - thats fishing. You just never know what will turn up next. :1fishing1:

Kel

Edited by kel

Too bad on the lack of legal flatties mate!

But yeah i have seen them that big in 1.5m of water there too! once i was winding my plastic really fast to get ready to net my old mans fish and 2 of them stormed the plastic and totally missed it :ranting2: and the other time i had a decent trev on and i had it floundering on the surface ready to net and a big kingy took the blade hanging out of his mouth :ranting2:

Still a great thing to see :)

cheers

Pete

I was standing on the verandah of St George Saili ng Club after work this arvo at and saw some serious carnage on the surface out near the bridge...maybe kings or tailor terrorising....good to see and promising for the weekend!