New Zealand Xos Kings On Fly,jigs,stickbaits Etc.

mgj

I just returned from New Zealand with a sore body from doing battle with those big kings. I hooked up many on fly in the shallows

and down deep.I also was involved in some memorable bust offs and flyline losses to big kings in the shallows in bad country. But

I landed a few.

Also I used jigs,stickbaits and livies-some of the takes were explosive! The fish there seem to begin at 8 kg and go up to 30 kg. You

certainly tangle with some big beasts over there.

On the last day a school of 25 kg+ kingies were following a sun fish and the three of us cast stickbaits at them.we all hooked up simultaneously

and it was mayhem.All the lines became tangled,and the others had heavy sticks,with 80 lb braid,and I had a lighter stick with 50 lb braid.The others

were broken off and I was left standing and landed a 26 kg king! These are the breaks.

Mark

post-2678-055207500 1292550432_thumb.jpg

post-2678-013759200 1292550465_thumb.jpg

post-2678-058199800 1292550552_thumb.jpg

post-2678-079224900 1292550646_thumb.jpg

Wow!! They're fricken huge!! Nice pics mate, and congratulations! Must try the fly out one day. Any tips?

Mick

Mick,

Do some research,get some gear/lessons and go for it.

Tom,

Those salmon were big,and fought hard.

Mark

I just returned from New Zealand with a sore body from doing battle with those big kings. I hooked up many on fly in the shallows

and down deep.I also was involved in some memorable bust offs and flyline losses to big kings in the shallows in bad country. But

I landed a few.

Also I used jigs,stickbaits and livies-some of the takes were explosive! The fish there seem to begin at 8 kg and go up to 30 kg. You

certainly tangle with some big beasts over there.

On the last day a school of 25 kg+ kingies were following a sun fish and the three of us cast stickbaits at them.we all hooked up simultaneously

and it was mayhem.All the lines became tangled,and the others had heavy sticks,with 80 lb braid,and I had a lighter stick with 50 lb braid.The others

were broken off and I was left standing and landed a 26 kg king! These are the breaks.

Mark

well done

what what a monster king fish! must of been a memoriable fight! well done. awesome work. :1fishing1:

You certainly know that you have been in a fight after tangling with one of those beasts.

Mark

Edited by mgj

hi Mark it's Sam who was at Global Tackle when you came in.

gee wiz, that's impressive i must say.

boy do i hate trying to make up my mind on what to do.......................... back to New Caledonia again for my 2nd trip which mind you i want to return more time's then once, ............................ or NZ, hhhhmmmm.

and the kings look like they are healthy and in good condition to.

if it's ok me asking, what stickbaits did the damage?

i like the look of your fly.

Edited by Sam-8862

hi Mark it's Sam who was at Global Tackle when you came in.

gee wiz, that's impressive i must say.

boy do i hate trying to make up my mind on what to do.......................... back to New Caledonia again for my 2nd trip which mind you i want to return more time's then once, ............................ or NZ, hhhhmmmm.

and the kings look like they are healthy and in good condition to.

if it's ok me asking, what stickbaits did the damage?

i like the look of your fly.

Sam,

NZ is fantastic for kings.Because of site rules I won't post the stickbait-but I'll tell you when I'm in the shop next.

Mark