Respray Cost

greg123

Hi all I'm about to buy a 20ft half cab, fibreglass vickers 570 but the paint is in a sorry state as the previous owner had spraypainted the name along the side.

I was wondering if anyone had been quoted for a respray for a boat this size.

I don't have any spraying experience but am prepared to do most or all of the prep. I think I may be able to do the respray myself with the right equipment as I'm fairly good with handywork but am not sure how difficult it will be (any advise on this?)

So if anyone has gone through this proceedure before and could give me a rough rigure on cost (assuming i do all the prep work) that would be very helpful.

Cheers

Guest Aussie007

buy a couple hundred dollar iwatta or devilbliss spray gun from a well known online auction site and hire a compressor from kennards hire and spray it your self

hard to estimate cost but with my knowledge of painting i'd be saying if the prep work has been done well and u want inside and out done i think it cost me just in paint to do our 25fter around $1,200 just in paint, so with labour incuding booth hire u would be looking at around $2,500-$3,000 painting would be over 2x days

if u sprayed it your self u would save your self $1000 if u hired a gun and compressor if u were to spray it your self ask your paint shop expert to write down mix ratio's on tins and ask for any tips and tricks, always paint a sample before sprayin your boat to make sure theset up is right,

hope this helps

• 4 years later...

Update to this...sometimes vinyl wrapping can be an option. Generally for smaller boats that can be transported to an automotive spray booth, painting is comparable or cheaper, but bigger boats that can't be transported definitely are worth wrapping over painting.

Big issue you will have if you've used any silicon based lubricant, booths won't let you in. It messes with paint big time. Your engine/ trailer and steering mechanisms need to be bagged. Biggest headache will be around Windows and any hull feed throughs. This is where most labour is the paint process is the shortest part of the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk