Jew Fishing At Clontarf?

grunta1984

hey guys!

i only signed up to this site last night but have spent hours n hours reading articles on the net about jew fishing! so i thought what better way to find anything i need to know about the notorious jew than on this site... i have fished a few times with my old man and friends at clontarf but we were only going for bream n flattys! i have only just got into wanting to chase jewies recently but already im hooked n really want to catch one... as i said i have read many articles about rigs, catching squid/livies, gear and everything else u could possibly read n want to further my knowledge to give myself the best chance of catching one of these beauties... ive noticed while fishing at clontarf that if u walk out a few meters its drops off fairly steep which made me thing that there would be a nice big channel that ran up the beach... last week we tried for jewies using recently caught livies but they were dead by the time we got to clontarf but only managed to catch a shovel nose shark n a mud crab! i have seen one jewie caught there but does anyone know if there would be a few in there or would i be wasting my time?

G'day,

Mate you are not wasting your time as they are in that area. Yes from the beach it drops off into deep water. Cast out with fresh caught squid live or better strips and or just head or whole on two hook rig. I have caught a few in that area from boat in the moorings. I prefer a few hours either side of high or low (best) tide.

Mike

hey mike!

yea i thought it would be deep water there... any idea as to hoe deep it would be? yea well i havent had much luck with the squid n found it easier to catch livies so i think ill just stick with that as squidding can be difficult n very time consuming at times! im using a 2 hook 5/0 snelled hook rig but im not 100% as to where to hook the dead livies i thought through the top of the mouth then the other 3/4 of the way down its back 2 mm under the spine... do u think this is a good set up? can u catch jews on a low tide? mate im honestly keen as mustard to get into this kind of fishing n willing to really try or do anything to become really good at it so any info u could provide would be priceless! also if u could maybe pm me a landbased spot or two to try just to head me in the right direction that would be awesome :)

mate livies work well but you really need yor squid out there when i first started fishing for jews i would spend at least 2 or 3 days of the week catching squid i fish 2 or 3 rods and 1 would have a livie and 1 would have a squid and i put a butterflyd taylor out i started fishing for jews wen i was 18 using this method and have caught heaps of jews live bait doesn't always get eatin but the butterflyd taylor and squid do and put in alot of time 4 the jews for the first 6months ifishd 4them iwas fishing everyday after work got bugger all sleep in those 6 months but it payed off

mate livies work well but you really need yor squid out there when i first started fishing for jews i would spend at least 2 or 3 days of the week catching squid i fish 2 or 3 rods and 1 would have a livie and 1 would have a squid and i put a butterflyd taylor out i started fishing for jews wen i was 18 using this method and have caught heaps of jews live bait doesn't always get eatin but the butterflyd taylor and squid do and put in alot of time 4 the jews for the first 6months ifishd 4them iwas fishing everyday after work got bugger all sleep in those 6 months but it payed off

hey mate!

yea i was just saying to the boys i was fishing with that it would have been a good idea if we had livies and squid out there! we did try for squid last night but couldnt seem to get any... only caught 10 livies! we went down to the spot after catching the livies n butterflyed both sides n hoiked them out... half an hour later i heard my bells going off slightly every few seconds like something small was playing with it so i left it! then got a lil tug so i picked the rod up waited for another tug then wack i reefed back set the hooks then bbbzzzzzzzzz my line took off! i let ig go for a bit then started reeling it in then i thought i lost it cause i didnt feek it fighting, so i kept reeling then felt the weight as my rod tip was buckled over! it was getting close to the shore prob about 3 or 4 meters when my ling went PING..... i was furious! i dont know weather it was a shark, ray or jew! could anyone tell me what it could have been?