Kingfish Just Not Biting My Lure

lsdjy3

Hey guys I've been fishing out in the morning from about 5am in the harbour landbased and whenever I use my metal lures they just seem to chase it but just dont bite it. I would really like to catch one of these using lures and I've also been using soft plastics and various metal lures 30~50g. It was exciting see them chase my lure but now its just really teasing. Any help/tips will be appreciated thanks

Hey guys I've been fishing out in the morning from about 5am in the harbour landbased and whenever I use my metal lures they just seem to chase it but just dont bite it. I would really like to catch one of these using lures and I've also been using soft plastics and various metal lures 30~50g. It was exciting see them chase my lure but now its just really teasing. Any help/tips will be appreciated thanks

Ahh yes, one of the major frustrations caused by kingies. Mate kingies are a funny lot, they have the ability to be ravenous predators that will attack anything that moves at times, and can be timid as mouse at other times. They are very inquisitive fish so quite often they will follow your lures but never actually touch them. I've had live squid out under their noses and they follow it around and dont touch it, same with yakkas, other times they will eat a piece of chicken on the bottom intended for bream!

Sometimes its a case of changing lures, colours, retrieve etc to get a strike, other times u can spin all day off the rocks and watch meter plus kings chase ur lures in only to swerve away at the last moment and its VERY frustrating.

Mix it up, thats all i can suggest. Eventually they will have a go...

Musty

I had this happen to me on Sunday at one of the fads . We got there and sent out some livies , nothing happened . Then we tried jigs and on retrieval I saw the kings following the jig up .

I then put on a metal slug around 5 cms long , ( not sure the weight but a castable size ).

We ended catching around 25 kings and amberjack , all around 60cms , so the kings all swam away but my mate who I took out had never caught a king before so he was wrapped to get so many of them . For a while it was a fish every drop !

So try a smaller slug or jig , let it sink then wind it back FAST and boom ,

Hope this helps.

As slink said, try differnt types/sizes of lures and vary your retrieve.

That said, sometimes no matter what you do, they will not hit. I have had schools of 30kg+ kings swim past the boat and straight past live squid, gars and salmon (which were packing it big time let me tell you!!!).

Very frustrating.