Best Way To Go About Getting My 1St King

camb1988

Have only started getting properly into fishing in the past few months. Am yet to break my Kingy duck and was wondering what the best way to go about getting my first king on light gear is. My tinny is yet to have a sounder installed so I can't search around for the bait schools like I would like to yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cam

G'day Camb,

You don't need a sounder... just good bait and fishing the visible structures around the harbour.

FIrst, catch yourself some fresh squid (shop bought is a very poor substitute). And if you have a live well, catch a couple of Yakkas too. The island at Balmoral is a good place to start for both.

Then travel around the harbour, drifting baits around each of the obvious harbour markers. Some hold kings more than others but if you try Dobroyd Head, Quarantine Head, the Wedding Cake and the markers around Shark Point and Shark Island, you're off to a good start.

Good luck... let us know how you go.

Cheers, Slinky

• 1 month later...

G Day Comb.

Use 1.5m 60 lb or 80 lb fluorocarbon leader with 6/0 circle hook. And put the hook in to Yakkas nose without damaging the eye.

Just Add Medium sliding sinker before leader. And troll very very slow. 1Kt. 1.5 Kt Max (With the tide)

Try also Stop and troll / Stop and troll / Stop and troll near marker’s.

The drag should be set to not more then 1 kg.

It is best if you can keep the bait around ½ of total depth..

The key is

The king will first take the bait. And Run zzzzzzzzz pause zzzzzzzzzz the first run will be around 3 Sec. So you must let it run for 3 – 4 sec. and then Hit the rod then keep the pressure on the fish.

At the pause king turns the bait head first. And takes it in. it is very quick. Max 4 Sec. you should not wait for more then that.

If you hit before that. (or the drag it tight) The hook will come out from the bait. And you will miss the fish and bait.

If you are Late the fish will go in to rocks and you are busted.

Send me PM if you need any more help.

Best of luck.

Bigking

G Day Comb.

Use 1.5m 60 lb or 80 lb fluorocarbon leader with 6/0 circle hook. And put the hook in to Yakkas nose without damaging the eye.

Just Add Medium sliding sinker before leader. And troll very very slow. 1Kt. 1.5 Kt Max (With the tide)

Try also Stop and troll / Stop and troll / Stop and troll near marker’s.

The drag should be set to not more then 1 kg.

It is best if you can keep the bait around ½ of total depth..

The key is

The king will first take the bait. And Run zzzzzzzzz pause zzzzzzzzzz the first run will be around 3 Sec. So you must let it run for 3 – 4 sec. and then Hit the rod then keep the pressure on the fish.

At the pause king turns the bait head first. And takes it in. it is very quick. Max 4 Sec. you should not wait for more then that.

If you hit before that. (or the drag it tight) The hook will come out from the bait. And you will miss the fish and bait.

If you are Late the fish will go in to rocks and you are busted.

Send me PM if you need any more help.

Best of luck.

Bigking

Thanks for providing great tips, Bigking :)