Fly Fishing Advice

Grant 1874

Hi Raiders

I have been fly fishing for quiet a while now for trout & palegics like salmon, tailor, bonito & kingies but i want to try some estury spieces. So can any1 help me with what sort of flies i should i should be using when targeting bream, flathead & whiting. & what lines would best suit this style of fishing. I will be wadeing the flats looking for these fish.

Cheers Grant

G'day Grant,

If you want one outfit as an 'allrounder' to suit all of them, get a weight-forward, intermediate (slow sinking) line. It's the most versatile.

As for flies, start out with a few clousers in different sizes, weights and colours for the flatties... maybe a couple of Crazy Charlies and Baited Breaths for bream and as for whiting, I've never successfully targeted them on fly (caught a couple as by-catch when chasing bream but that's it). Maybe another member can help with them.

Cheers, Slinky

Everything Slinky said is spot on and is what i use most.

I will add a couple of flies to the list though.

Shrimp and yabbie patterns work well on both bream and whiting around weed beds

and sandflats. And if you can find some of the shrimp/prawn patterns in a popper style

grab some as they are hard to find (i had to tie my own) but the surface strikes are awesome.

With fishing intermediate line on flats, make sure you dont let it sink to far and drag it throug

the sand. This will spook everything in its path. Bread patterns can be fun to and almost anything will take them.

Happy hunting

Regards Steven

Mate, just be internet "savvy" and o you research. There are a million webpages that will explain this for you- just go online and do your homework. Nothing in flyfishing for Saltwater species is ever "gospel" - you need to just try different flies, retrieves, locations etc. I am sure you will receive 30 different replies to this post- but all it takes is for you to read webpages, go to the local fly stores ( or OK here in Australia) ask the 6 or so serious saltwater fly sites what they recommend. Fly fishing is just like any other type of fishing- you nee to try different things and work out what suits you, your experience, the locations and all that.

Good Luck... Maybe go online to FLYLIFE - there a a million guys there that can help you

Hey Every1

Thanks for the advice this will really help, i think i am going to pick up some of these flies u guys have said. I thnk itjust pays to put the hours in as well. I have done alot of fly fishing in the UK for trout & i know they have flies for trout that look like bloodworms sothnk i wll get some & gver them a go for whitng.

Cheers Grant