Whats The Best Way To Fish For Mullet?

indir-emir

Guest Aussie007

probably illegal now but as a kid i use to catch alot of whopper mullet starting from the bottom i would use a 3 hook not sure what they are called than a single hook tied right on top of the 3 hook than run a small amount of line to a sinker than a float to keep it at what depth the fish are at back than it was 1-2ft from memory u bait the single hook and when u see the fish nibbling u lift the rod hooking the fish under the lower jaw its kind of a crewel way to fish but so is killing a fish :biggrin2: this was back in the early 1990's i have since read fish can only be caught by a hook in the mouth so keep this in mind

Edited by gazza

probably illegal now but as a kid i use to catch alot of whopper mullet starting from the bottom i would use a 3 hook not sure what they are called than a single hook tied right on top of the 3 hook than run a small amount of line to a sinker than a float to keep it at what depth the fish are at back than it was 1-2ft from memory u bait the single hook and when u see the fish nibbling u lift the rod hooking the fish under the lower jaw its kind of a crewel way to fish but so is killing a fish :biggrin2: this was back in the early 1990's i have since read fish can only be caught by a hook in the mouth so keep this in mind

(thanks for replying)

yeah thanks for that :) ..why is it illegal ??

isnt that if you foul hook the fish u put it back in if its not the right size??? .... what bait do they go for?

cheers.

(thanks for replying)

yeah thanks for that :) ..why is it illegal ??

isnt that if you foul hook the fish u put it back in if its not the right size??? .... what bait do they go for?

cheers.

It is illegal, as it is prohibited as per page 52 of the NSW Saltwater Fishing Guide ie : "Jag fish (hooking or attempting to hook

fish other than through the mouth)"

It does not mean (in my understanding) that if you are fishing with bait or lures and you foul hook a fish that you have to throw it back as you were not attempting to hook other than through the mouth - you need only put the fish back if it is undersize or a protected species or you have exceeded the bag limit for the species.

Cheers Blood Knot

It is illegal, as it is prohibited as per page 52 of the NSW Saltwater Fishing Guide ie : "Jag fish (hooking or attempting to hook

fish other than through the mouth)"

It does not mean (in my understanding) that if you are fishing with bait or lures and you foul hook a fish that you have to throw it back as you were not attempting to hook other than through the mouth - you need only put the fish back if it is undersize or a protected species or you have exceeded the bag limit for the species.

Cheers Blood Knot

yes of course,,

but what bait do you use ?

Mullet tend to be 'topwater' feeders & love white bread!!! So, grab a float & set up a couple of hooks (or half a sabiki setup & put some squashed bread onto it) under a basic float ..... chuck it over or near the shallower water ..... you should get some mullet!

They are superb eating when fresh - either crumbed & pan fried or even smoked! Really YUMMY!!!

Keep on trying - they give a big performance for a 'small performance' fish!

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Guest Aussie007

yep i use to use bread the well known brands work best not sure about the chines bakery breads we use to use butter cup and and something white? it use to be larger slices than the normal bread loaf these days its all super market brands and i dont fish for mullet so i dont know what will work best if butter cup is still around give that a try what u do is get 5-6 slices wet them slightly and scrunch up the bread in your hand untill its a light doughy mix leave the crust on as it helps keep the bread on the hook and together than it is ready to use just pinch a bit of and wrap it around your hook if the bread goes soggy from to much water mix a new batch u will get the hang of it quickly a mate back all those years ago showed me this trick i eventually out fished him thanks to him teaching me :biggrin2: i use to ride my deadly treadly 1 hour each way to chipping norton lake in the early 90's on the weekends just to catch mullet :biggrin2:

yep i use to use bread the well known brands work best not sure about the chines bakery breads we use to use butter cup and and something white? it use to be larger slices than the normal bread loaf these days its all super market brands and i dont fish for mullet so i dont know what will work best if butter cup is still around give that a try what u do is get 5-6 slices wet them slightly and scrunch up the bread in your hand untill its a light doughy mix leave the crust on as it helps keep the bread on the hook and together than it is ready to use just pinch a bit of and wrap it around your hook if the bread goes soggy from to much water mix a new batch u will get the hang of it quickly a mate back all those years ago showed me this trick i eventually out fished him thanks to him teaching me :biggrin2: i use to ride my deadly treadly 1 hour each way to chipping norton lake in the early 90's on the weekends just to catch mullet :biggrin2:

wooowwww!!!!!! thanks a lot for all your help ... i hope for the best in your future fishing and catch all the bag limit you can :) ..wow how manyy mullet could you catch????

you life must be soo good if i still fish a picnic point theirs a lot off mullet ill target them thanks again :)

emir

Mate everything here is said right, my way of catching little poddies which i attempted and was quite sucessful, was with a light line a small hook and long rod off a jetty or wharf at night, oh and buttered bread, cause it stays on the hook abit easier. I have to thank you, because you have reminded me that i can catch live poddies for jewies that im going to attempt to catch this friday. :) and goodluck -Carl

• 2 months later...

awesome, where abouts at chippo did you use to try and get these fellaz. Im in Moorebank so 1 minute from chippo, if i can get down there with just some bread and a float ill go down this arvo and see if I can hook some. Oh wait todays friday hmmm maybe a bigger more exciting trip should be organized !