Bass Point And Picnic Point

nickm469

merry xmas and happy new year raiders.

havent been out in a while due to losing my car to a sleeping taxi driver, recently going out in the last 2 weeks.

first off, headed south to bass point. where my mates been catching a few bonito.....post-11578-009599500 1293624478_thumb.jpg

after heading there and arriving at 4:30 in the afternoon finding out it closes at 6:30 rigged up a floating rigg as quickly as possible having never caught bonito in my life sat and waited for 5 seconds ( damn their quick). missed the first but then hooked 3 in quick succession....post-11578-005049600 1293624922_thumb.jpg bit of a difference in size no? phoned up my friend to let him know we only caught small ones, only for him to tell me he caught the bigger ones at a place called hill 60 i think? ( never really fish down south ). Unsatisfied with only 1 hour fishing i headed off to picnic point last night in search of something im more familiar with... bream, flatties and such. Not too confident with the weather we stayed local deciding to fish picnic point as i've been getting some good fish there at night. Got there on a dead low tide not expecting to catch much.... 3 hours pass and not a single bite on my bream gear so i decide to rig up my jew rod. no live bait in sight but i noticed quite a few small fish i think were poddy mullet near by after another hour trying to catch them, i gave up and instead cut a pilchard to around the same size..... BINGO!! within 10 mins i get an unexpected run.. after a minute or so i'm face to face with an old friend.... post-11578-068194100 1293625349_thumb.jpg thank god summer is here the fish are starting to bite again! :yahoo: good luck raiders.

Nice mate. Where about bass point? I went there 2 days ago as well, way too many people at North of bass point lol. Couldn't fish at all.

was bass point reserve on my gps and yeah there were at least 20 people there. i just kept walking further down from the crowds where there was noone.

Nice catch. Can u pls tell me whereabouts at picnic pt do u fish??? Btw hill60 is in port kembla. Around 15mins from bass pt which is in shellharbour. Regards ps im still trying to catch my 1st jewie. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks

hey there sure this jew was caught near fitzpatrick park. opposite the lagoon. but they are everywhere atm along the georges. ive got heaps as by catches going for bream with good frozen prawns peeled and bunched up maybe 2 or 3 on a hook.

the best baits that work for me are fillets of fresh fish.... yellow tail, mullet, whiting .and tailor. not many squid around this area but live squid are by far the best. i use a two hook rigg. hooks depend on how big the bait is, they just have to slightly stick out. drag is set to medium. with dead baits like fillets i find that they hook themselves so a loose drag is not always best.(strike hard when they hit anyways just for security ) also i always stay right next to my rod for no missed opportunities or rods getting pulled into the water. 60cm leader and sinker depends on how strong the tide is, the smaller the better. around this area they're not always in the deep water, ive got a few just a couple of meters from the shore in water thats barely half a meter deep. hope this helps out if you have any more questions please dont hesitate to ask. took me ages to get my first too. once you get a couple you get the hang of it