Minnamurra River 28/12/10

smallscott69

Went down to Minnamurra river with my father a mate and our two month old inflatable zodiac. Dad just got a $170 shimano SP combo and was pretty keen to try it out. I was using some squidgy wrigglers on a light 2-4kg rod and my mate was using white bait. My mate and I have never gone out fishing together but it was definitely a bait vs plastics comp.

Okay, so we set off at around 1:30pm and we drove out into the channel where the river bends (about 4 -5m deep), I'm the first to put a squidgy on so I cast out, and within literally 5 seconds I've got a fish on. It put up a pretty good fight, I bring it in and it's a 40cm flathead! perfect for dinner so we go ahead and chuck that on ice. My mate points out a marker it seems to be a drop off so were hoping for some good fish, I cast in and wham another 40cm flatty. For the next 30 mins i'm not getting much and so far my dad hasn't gotten anything, all of a sudden my mate hooks up on a 30cm trevally and then he turns to me and says "Trevally> flatty so Bait>SP"... hahaha. He then follows that up by catching a 25cm tailor which actually jumped out of the water. It went quiet for about half an hour so we decided to drift at the main intersection, and then again I hook up! and to my surprise it was another 40cm flatty! hahah this is great. My dad finally has a fish and its a tiny garfish that he hooked in the side of the body =). So all up it was a pretty good day for me not for my dad =( but he is still keen to go out with SP's from what I caught. Heres some pics: Excuse the \m/ signs we just did that to prove to our friend that it was us!

post-16050-028130800 1293771377_thumb.jpg

post-16050-055345200 1293771419_thumb.jpg

Good work, and a nice lot of flatties. I fished Minnamurra with my son just after Christmas, we caught 9 mullet and 8 bream, all under size most just under (all released), still my son had fun. We used bait (worms) and lures, all the fish we got were caught on bait, never got a strike on the lures.

Edited by Gator