Pilchard Preferences

GCC

Happy New Years everyone

I've recently been getting back into fishing lately after having lived interstate as well as further beyond. One thing I'm getting use to again is the bait we get in Sydney, more specifically the pilchards. Some 10-15 years back some bait and tackle store would sell loose bags of WA pilchards that they packed themselves from 20kg cartons. I knew these pilchards very well back then and they were always high quality and dependable. There were also the 2.5kg WA blocks back then, but I always found those pillies to be smaller, and probably were of a lower grade, then the ones from the 20kg carton. Sometimes the ones from the 20kg were the size of small frigates. I'll always remember opening a carton and when you'd tap the pillie on a wooden table it felt like you were holding a piece of thick chalk (can't really explain this).

Now, it seems that East Coast pillies are the go? But, back years ago, we thought they were second rate - of softer flesh, being from warmer water, and didn't seem to have the oil contents of the WA pillies.

So, what's the story these days? Are the WA pillies the way to go?

Cheers

Glenn

I usually just purchase the "tweed bait" brand for pillies. I try to find the ones with the smaller pillies because I find they fit better on my hooks. Im not sure about WA pillies though. But the ones Ive bought have always worked for me and done the job very well.

if i can get them i always buy the WA block pillies. My local bait shop sells them though i have to ask for them specifically, otherwise i end up with the SA pillies.

If you ever get offered the pillies from overseas (i think they come from indonesia) dont use them.... i found them to be useless...

Guest Aussie007

when i use pillies i prefer the smaller type as the larger pillies in the pack defrost they turn all mushy and pretty much useless for bait

Sorry Bennoz, but I can't agree with salted pillies. I'd salt bonnie fillets to make them firmer, but not pillies. In my opinion a good quality pillie should not need salting.