Steering problem- seized

Gorms

G'day Raiders.

Haven't had the best start to 2011. Went to head out for a flick the other day and after dropping the boat in realised the steering wouldn't move. I've got a 2009 mercury 60hp 4 stroke.

Probably haven't kept the grease up a much as i should so not making excuses.

A few questions I've got- hopefully someone can help.

what work is required to get it back to 100%?

If I was looking at getting power steering eventually ($700-$1000 i think the quote was), does anyone think that the cost to repair would be better spent on heading towards power steering? That's assuming the components of power steering will replace the current parts.

Any info is appreciated

Cheers

Gorms.

Hi, its probably just a stuck cable, undo cable from motor make sure motor pivot isnt seized, if thats good then disconnect cable from helm see if helm is ok, if ok then take cable out of boat and spray inox or wd or similar down cable, hang from somewhere tall so it can soak in and eat the sticky grease out, keep working cable until its free, also make sure the rod going through engine tilt tube is free as well, use inox or wd40 in their as well, see how that goes, worst case you may need a cable at around $150 - $200.

Hey mate,

Funny the same the happened to me only 2 weeks ago. It's not a good feeling when you push away from the ramp only to realise you have no steering.

Luckily I had a mate with me and we managed to free it before we got into too much trouble.

Basically it was the linkages that had seized. We just freed them up with some WD40 (always carry a can on the boat) and some brute force and it was fine for the rest of the day. When I got it back home I cleaned the linkages up and greased them. Now everytime I pass the boat I give the motor a turn from side to side to ensure it doesnt happen again.

Cheers

thats abit dear mate. if that was me i would try this this first, if it is seized it will be a rust problem i would disconnect the steering linkage assuming that it isnt Hydraulic, run a drill bit through the steering linkage of the motor same size as the linkage size. and regrease it with salt water resistant grease, and try that i did this with my boat after sitting for 1 year and my steering has been sweet :thumbup:

Edited by mc fishn

Hi Gorms, easy to fix on such a late model engine. Disconnect the drag link from the cable and confirm where the problem is-in the engine or steering cable-my bet the cable.On the starboard side of the engine undo the steering cable nut from the tilt tube and then you can remove the steering cable, making sure that is free and then clean the tilt tube and cable and reassmeble with marine grease and good to go again. If the cable can not be freed new cables are around $150 dependin on lengthe and design and if you also need a new helm than that can become a bit expensive.

A side note-you will not be getting power steering-there is no pump to help you with hydraulic steering, that can range from the figures you mentioned, but it is better than cable steering.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks very much everyone for taking the time to write that info up.

Very grateful.

I'll get stuck into it today.

Cheers everyone

Gorms

Hi Mate,your steering cables are about $300 new from your boating supplier.................cheaper then power...........:thumbup: