ALVEY 6500BCV Rod to Match?

Hey raiders

I have really been getting into my beach fishing and for Christmas i got an 6500BCV reel. i have been looking around the internet and been to a few fishing shops to get a feel for a rod, but as of yet i am unsure what to get. I am thinking of putting 15kg mono on the reel and will be using it to target salmon , tailor, Jews, and Kingies if i can get them, primarily of the sand but will be off the rocks as well.

I have used dads alvey a few times, but i am not that familiar with rod selection, I have checked out a few wilson rods, but any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

dave

Hey raiders

I have really been getting into my beach fishing and for Christmas i got an 6500BCV reel. i have been looking around the internet and been to a few fishing shops to get a feel for a rod, but as of yet i am unsure what to get. I am thinking of putting 15kg mono on the reel and will be using it to target salmon , tailor, Jews, and Kingies if i can get them, primarily of the sand but will be off the rocks as well.

I have used dads alvey a few times, but i am not that familiar with rod selection, I have checked out a few wilson rods, but any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

dave

Hi Dave,

If you are going to fish rocks as well, look into the MT7144 range and even an 8wrap. 7144 will be suffice for the surf, but getting onto rocks the 7144 will be inferior for say Kings. You'll need something with more brute on the stones. Given you are using an Alvey, ensure you are looking at the 'low mount' reel seat surf rods. Wilson make a nice range (Au series + Live fibre), and if you want something in the high range, check out some of Gary Howard's surf custom range, the Bull Dog 15kg 14ft outfit is amazing, but I believe they only come in 1 pce at the moment. He makes a range of other rods too but given you are using 15kg mono, you'd want something in the 7+wrap range.

The Angler Azagaie range is top value for money too as they are made with Pacific Composite blanks (now Exel) and some local stores do stock them at present around Sydney.....I am currently in the midst of shopping around for a new custom rod to suit my Alvey 700A5, so if you want some more tips, feel free to PM me as I've been researching the last 12 mths for Alvey reel blanks.

cheers,

Spizza

• 2 years later...