Blackfish are still around.

stormy

Around this time of the year, the blackfish in my area slow down or are replaced by smaller fish. I have been getting loads of big fish on every outing and without exception they are males. Now, for the past 2 weeks, every fish has been a female full of roe. Thought they had a spawning run a couple of months back.

Anyway, I have been fishing for blackfish for over 40 yrs and have always used my Sportex 662 rod and Avon Royale reel. Today, I decided to put the reel on a Pacific Composites Ocean Blackfish rod, which I bought last year. With a decent fish on, the Sportex is like a limp piece of spagetti in comparison to the graphite rod. I like the new rod, but will still fish with the old one on a regular basis.

On arriving at the spot, I saw that the water was crystal clear and no wash on the rocks at all. Wasn't too confident, but nothing ventured nothing gained. Baited up with cabbage and was on within 60 seconds. A nice, small fish of 32cm. Into the keeper net and on again immediately. Got another two around the same size and then a few undersize ones, before it shut down. Persevered for another hour for some very timid downs. On one drift, I let the float go way out over the sand until it was getting hard to see. Thought it went down, so lifted the rod tip and was on. This felt like a better fish and it was good to be able to wash it up on what little swell there was. This one measured 38cm, so I decided to take a pic for the January comp. Got one more keeper of 37cm, again way out over the sand, and called it a day. Five keepers for me, one for my mate Rick and none for my mate Geoff. I gave him three of mine, as I still had fish in the freezer.

All in all, a nice few hours spent in a beautiful place with a couple of good mates.

post-11324-051351200 1294130797_thumb.jpg

post-11324-073831700 1294130809_thumb.jpg

Nice fish, makes me want to go out and have a go for them.

I think blackfish are one of the most reliable fish around Sydney. There's been many times when I've fished at Julianne, at Malabar, for kingies etc, only to bait up my spinning rod with weed and fish for the blackfish at our feet.

Also, something to note, During my various travels to Europe I've brought back a couple of contemporary Sportex rods - they still make great rods. Made in Germany. Not sure how readily available they are in Australia though. Also, these are short 9 foot spin rods that are stiff in the butt, but really light in the tip - great for light line spinning, but make a good compromise for blackfish as well.

Cheers

Glenn