Keeping Squid

Jewhunter

:beersmile: G'day all.

With plenty of squid in the harbour of late I thought I'd pass on how I keep them in good nick for the next trip. If anyone has some other ideas I'd love to here them.

When squidding I take a small esky with an ice brick in it & some Glad cliplock bags. When I get a squid I try not to handle it too much & drop it in the bag & put it in the esky.

At home I push all excess air out of the bag, seal it & put it in another. Your squid is ready for freezing.

I might be stating the bleeding obvious but DON'T let your squid touch fresh water, put it directly on ice, or let your missus find it!

Kept like this squid are almost as good as fresh & will still tempt a big, fussy jew.

Any other tips guys?

Cheers,

Grant. :thumbup:

I used to put my squid in a container & cover them with salted water making sure there were no air pockets & they were completely covered & they used to thaw out & work pretty well. A good standby if fresh ones aren't about :biggrin2:

I used to put my squid in a container & cover them with salted water making sure there were no air pockets & they were completely covered & they used to thaw out & work pretty well. A good standby if fresh ones aren't about  :biggrin2:

48078[/snapback]

Sounds good. Did they ever suffer from freezer burn from the water?

Yep Darryl has the right idea, I know a bloke that went and bought one of those whiz bang things that suck the air out of the bags, when you could have just dipped them in a bucket. :074:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hottuna

Ahh BASH those spl? criovac machines are awesome, we use one here when we buy loads of squid off the trawlers. Its takes ALL the air out! For example a steak or whatever you fancy can be kept in the fridge for 3 weeks once done. Zip lock bags are NOT air tight. Well worth the money, just make sure its a quality Italian or euro one not the crapy chinese versons.

dan