Quality not quantity

adkel53

Hi Raiders,

Over the last week I have had two trips to Botany Bay with my regular fishing partner. On each occasions we had decided to try and have a bit of fun with the bonnies/kings before attempting to snare a feed of lizards to take home.

An evening session last week resulted in 6 bonnies, a few tailor and a rat king of 58 cm taken while trolling deep divers interspersed with throwing small metals and poppers at the surface bustups. The king took a Bushy Stiffy popper off the top and gave a good account of him/herself on light spin tackle. We only managed one lizard between us but it was a lovely fish of 68cm!

post-4311-018634300 1294269831_thumb.jpg

Weather wise yesterday morning was one of those you dream about. Virtually no wind, overcast skies and warm but not hot. This time the bonnies were being particularly fussy and we only managed four despite throwing various small metals and poppers through many schools feeding on the surface. Only managed one trolling despite trying xmas trees, small white squid and various minnows. I did manage another rat king on the same popper - taken from a school that were working the surface for a brief time.

Similar story with the lizards. Only one fish but she went 69 cm!

There was a bit of luck attached to her capture. We were drifting near a post we call Abigail's (it has 096 on it - older Raiders will get the connection!) and had not had a touch. I mentioned to my companion that we should move back in towards the weeds and started the motor. He said "hang on a minute - I've got some dramas happening". He was busing unpicking loops of braid from his line - we all know about them. Turning the motor off I replied "well I'll just have to catch a fish while you untangle that mess". I cast out towards the drop off, let the plastic sink, lifted the rod and said "you won't believe this, but I'm on". A couple of minutes later up she came.

post-4311-067769200 1294268971_thumb.jpg

After a couple of happy snaps she was revived in the water and powered off into the depths ready to spawn and produce some more lizards for us to catch in the future

We fished hard for another hour without any more success and headed in as the nor easter began to blow. While the lizards have not been prolific for us, the quality of them has been right up there!

How have other raiders been faring with the lizards in Botany Bay?

Cheers

Kel

Hi Raiders,

Over the last week I have had two trips to Botany Bay with my regular fishing partner. On each occasions we had decided to try and have a bit of fun with the bonnies/kings before attempting to snare a feed of lizards to take home.

An evening session last week resulted in 6 bonnies, a few tailor and a rat king of 58 cm taken while trolling deep divers interspersed with throwing small metals and poppers at the surface bustups. The king took a Bushy Stiffy popper off the top and gave a good account of him/herself on light spin tackle. We only managed one lizard between us but it was a lovely fish of 68cm!

post-4311-018634300 1294269831_thumb.jpg

Weather wise yesterday morning was one of those you dream about. Virtually no wind, overcast skies and warm but not hot. This time the bonnies were being particularly fussy and we only managed four despite throwing various small metals and poppers through many schools feeding on the surface. Only managed one trolling despite trying xmas trees, small white squid and various minnows. I did manage another rat king on the same popper - taken from a school that were working the surface for a brief time.

Similar story with the lizards. Only one fish but she went 69 cm!

There was a bit of luck attached to her capture. We were drifting near a post we call Abigail's (it has 096 on it - older Raiders will get the connection!) and had not had a touch. I mentioned to my companion that we should move back in towards the weeds and started the motor. He said "hang on a minute - I've got some dramas happening". He was busing unpicking loops of braid from his line - we all know about them. Turning the motor off I replied "well I'll just have to catch a fish while you untangle that mess". I cast out towards the drop off, let the plastic sink, lifted the rod and said "you won't believe this, but I'm on". A couple of minutes later up she came.

post-4311-067769200 1294268971_thumb.jpg

After a couple of happy snaps she was revived in the water and powered off into the depths ready to spawn and produce some more lizards for us to catch in the future

We fished hard for another hour without any more success and headed in as the nor easter began to blow. While the lizards have not been prolific for us, the quality of them has been right up there!

How have other raiders been faring with the lizards in Botany Bay?

Cheers

Kel

Hi Kel,

i would say there would be a few decent lizards around. I accidently snared a 75cm model in yarra bay early on wednesday evening. Was pretty happy about the new pb, especially because i wasnt fishing for flatties. Was a good feeling to see her swim away also.