PB Mahi Mahi

fishmaniac

Headed out early this morning with two mates to see if we could find some mahi mahi. We put the boat in at around 5:20am and had a tank of livies by 5:40am.

We set a course for some traps we had come across a couple of weeks ago to see if they were holding any fish. The water temp in close has been between 20.5 and 21 over the past week or so and with the waverider bouy not reading much more we were not sure what to expect, but nonetheless we were hopeful!

The conditions were expremely sloppy and I was not feeling too good at all. I spent most of the trip hanging over the side of the boat gasping fresh air and being outside the boat just in case (I usually have a couple of pills in my bag for these circumstances but forgot this time :ranting2: )

Anyways, as we approached we saw something jump out of the water around the bouys! :thumbup:

I had a knife jig rigged so popped it over the side and had two follows by good fish. No hookup though so I quickly cut the jig off and attached a 30lb pre-made trace and slapped a live yakka on it.

Sure enough it didn't take long to come up tight. The fish did quite a few jumps and then went down deep. My mate did well at the helm to quickly maneouvre away from the bouys and elimate any chance of the fish wrapping itself up. I took it easy (running probably 4 of 5kg of drag) due to the light trace and within about 5 mins had my PB mahi mahi on deck.

We continued fishing and landed a total of 6 others, 2 legals and the remaining 4 were undersized. When we got home we measured the fish at 121cm. Did not weigh it but i would estimate to be around 13 to 14kg.

post-6215-085836300 1294369421_thumb.jpg

post-6215-083517700 1294369443_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys!

The temp at the traps was 21.1 when we arrived (that is when we got the fish) and increased to 21.4 or so by the time we left. It was very comparable in temperature to what waverider has been recording.

hey mate well done on the dollies!

Just a quick question, how far out did you have to go? I just got an offshore capable boat so was just interested in learning all the offshore species i can possibly target.

Cheers

We were fishing about 13-14km due east of the coast. I have caught Mahi Mahi within 3km of the coast but this has only happened once (two years ago).

If you are new to the offshore scene I would take things one step at a time. Perhaps try the fisheries FADs first. We did not fish the Sydney FAD yesterday so i don't know if it is holding fish at the moment, but it is only 8km from the heads so it would be a good starting point.

We were fishing about 13-14km due east of the coast. I have caught Mahi Mahi within 3km of the coast but this has only happened once (two years ago).

If you are new to the offshore scene I would take things one step at a time. Perhaps try the fisheries FADs first. We did not fish the Sydney FAD yesterday so i don't know if it is holding fish at the moment, but it is only 8km from the heads so it would be a good starting point.

Thanks for your help, I'll be giving the FADs a go as soon as I can get the boat in the water

Hi to all raiders,

Just wondering if my stacer 525 is good enuff to go off wide. I'm new to boating and just got my license a couple months ago. Up to now, North Head is the farest i can try and not enuff gut to go further. :1prop:

Cheers, Phil

Hi to all raiders,

Just wondering if my stacer 525 is good enuff to go off wide. I'm new to boating and just got my license a couple months ago. Up to now, North Head is the farest i can try and not enuff gut to go further. :1prop:

Cheers, Phil

Your boat is certainly big enough to fish the FADs on the right day. Considering you are new to boating I would not go out wide any time soon and when you do, either gradualy work your way wider and build your confidence or take someone who has some experience