whining/scraping noise from merc 40hp

ReDeMp

i noticed this on the last trip out, a highish pitch intermittent whining/scraping noise coming from the motor.

it happens whether in gear or neutral and at various throttle applications, and cuts in and out randomly.

any ideas where to start looking for the prob? i was thinking that it may be coming from under the flywheel and have sprayed some inox into that area as a first measure.

its a merc 40hp us built 2 stroke.

thanks.

as you say it might be coming from flywheel i'm betting a magnet might of come loose under there .you will need to take flywheel off to check the magnets,the magnets a glued to the inner side of fly wheel,if any loose reglue them ,if i was you i would find the problem before you run motor again to avoid futher damage. what year is motor.cheers dunc333

Edited by dunc333

you will need a flywheel puller bout $30bucks from auto store or mercury have 1 part #91-83164m also there is a speical washer under flywheel called a loadring which will need to be replaced once flywheel has been removed ,you cant use the old load ring again ,loadring is about $10 from merc .just remember im only guessing your problem that you have described,if your close to huey give him a call ,he will sought it for you,and the glue you use for magnets is speical stuff from loctie pm me if you want anymore info good luck with it and let us know how you go cheers dunc333

sounds like its beyond my mechanical capabilities. huey would be first port of call but for the distance - im near the airport and theres very few reputable service centres around here. hmm what to do.

Hi, take cover off engine and look for signs of wear, look for metal shavings, paint missing etc to narrow down search, check gearbox oil, start with the basics first, start engine on muffs and listen for the noise, or call the mobile mechanic.

mate there is xtreme mobile marine site sponsor as well his name is ash you could call him hes down your way,and i wouldnt start motor cause if it is your magnets u will do unrepairable damage to your stator which will set you back about $500 cheers dunc333 .

Hi, good advise from the guys and determining noises is impossible over the internet, but as suggested try the basics first, see what gear lube looks like, do a visual inspection and could be the flywheel magnets, but not a common problem on your engine so if the noise is in fact coming from under flywheel the top crankshaft bearing wants to be inspected and for that the flywheel would need to come off and easy to do with the right tools as most jobs are.

Cheers,

Huey.

visual inspection under the cowl showed nothing out of the ordinary.

there are spits of black and silver on the underside of the stator but only on the side of the starter - i assume its paint from the underside of the flywheel and tiny filings from the flywheel/starter pinion.

gear oil looks normal.

kicked it over to try remind myself of the noise - 10 mins at idle (F/N/R) and the noise didnt seem to cut in at any time, and could only hear carby induction drone.

im tempted to take it out for another run........

Edited by ReDeMp

Can you move flywheel side to side at all? make sure there is no play or excessive up and down movement, would be worth pulling flywheel off and checking top bearing,lot cheaper to check it out then have it fail and destroy your motor.