Overseas Sounders

cut_loose

You need to tread carefully. Many of the new combo's are being region locked so you can't use non country of origin maps. Not sure about HB but Lowrance are doing this now I believe.

May be possible but as I say tread carefully. Or just go see Huey and get a good deal and piece of mind!

C.

That's interesting. I believe there was a court case several years ago about region locking DVD players and the result was that manufacturers had to allow the ability for them to be unlocked as it was anti-competitive. The reality is we're a small market in Australia compared to other regions (America, Europe, and Asia) so our prices are higher to allow for the over heads of warranties and servicing. Manufacturers hate these "grey" imports because they can't cover their regional overheads if they're being undercut by their own offices in other countries. Hence why they introduce various forms of region locking to force us to pay for them.

I suppose those that are rich enough to buy a blue water touring boat aren't going to use these sounders anyway, but if your exporting a boat from one region to another it would be a pain.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys

i got the same unit from the states last year. it works well and does everything it is supose to do i use the built in uni maps and that works fine.

the only down side is that the unit works in imperial measurements and can not be changed but you are saving a few hundred dollars and thats a big bonus.

i would recomend buying from the states but on the other hand it is good to support local shops too.

cheers

hi guys

i got the same unit from the states last year. it works well and does everything it is supose to do i use the built in uni maps and that works fine.

the only down side is that the unit works in imperial measurements and can not be changed but you are saving a few hundred dollars and thats a big bonus.

i would recomend buying from the states but on the other hand it is good to support local shops too.

cheers

I brought a 798 SI from OS, feet isn't a issue, divide by 3, speed , does it really matter how fast your going, temp, I laminated and stuck a conversion next to the sounder, saved $600, and I only fish lakes and rivers so the uni map is fine, no detail on the navionics card for there anyway

Hey guys

I am thinking of importing a Humminbird 788ci sounder/gps, with the money i save i can buy full mapping of Australia.

Just wondering if the units sold in say, America, are the same units as the ones sold here ?

Cheers

Lowrance and HBird make 2 units, 1 for Americas the other for the world, buy it from Canada and you'll get the same unit as in Australia just cheaper

and it will have imperial and metric.

Good luck