Fishing Sydney Harbour

Pongrass18ft

Called up my mate yesterday afternoon to see if he was up for a fishing and site seeing trip on the Harbour. I have only fished the Harbour twice in my lifetime as I'm always in the Hacking. We put in from Gladesville Boat Ramp which is an A1 ramp for any size boat with a long pontoon for getting on and off your boat. We then headed under the Harbour Bridge to see the Diamond Princess Cruise Ship.....I felt like I was in a bathtub sitting in my boat next to the Diamond Princess. From there on I started feeling claustrophobic as I'm not used to the boat traffic which is on the Harbour. As we ventured to the heads we dropped in some lures and trolled Blue Fish Point along Manly and back for one Bonito, so we then decided to head inside and look for the weed beds as dusk was setting in and we needed a feed for Sunday's lunch. Managed three squid quickly from the weed beds we found. Then we saw fish busting up everywhere around us so we chased them with lures and had a ball with the Bonito's for the next half hour keeping a few for a feed. We then anchored up on the Sour and Pigs Reef with the other boats only to catch small Snapper as we had no knowledge of fishing the reef. Headed further up....Plan B was to fish Balls Head, so I sacrificed a squid in that spot and a yellowtail on the other rod. The squid went off very quickly being such a fresh bait.....first in first served with quality bait but with my luck it was an eel that turned up first. All in all I enjoyed the afternoon watching the big ship sail out and catching a feed for lunch.

Chris

post-13990-094550900 1295137525_thumb.jpg

post-13990-009829200 1295137545_thumb.jpg

post-13990-044973300 1295137564_thumb.jpg

post-13990-007069200 1295137579_thumb.jpg

Those squid look very dark there mate, they might of ate some thing from the ocean liner dropped, i think you should return to your home turf.....the hacking :thumbup: see you out there shortly. Cheers cg.

The Harbour was a last minute decision, it's a challenge when you don't know the fishing area very well. You should go sometime, you'll be amazed at how many kelp beds are out there.....looks to be squid heaven to me. It's just that I'm not into the traffic out on the Harbour. You'll DEFINATELY be seeing me back out on the Hacking soon, possibly Sunday if weather permits. As to the colour of the squid they were imitating the colour of my live bait tank lid underneath. They changed to clear white when they were at the bottom of the tank.

Chris

Was only joking with ya because we always talked about how clean the hacking was when we fished together. I fished the harbour, the spit and botany for donkey years but i will now need a very good reason to leave the hacking. Cheers cg.

All is well George. Mate work is extremely busy just got home. I worked on a house this morning and guess who the owner is?.......remember the video we watched at my place with no no no and Jim Fiarakis catching the 30kg plus Jewi at Juno Point, well I was working on Jim's house today and his wife said she will tell him to call me about fishing. Gee's what a small world. Hopefully we can tee up a fishing trip as he loves his jewi as you know I do.

Chris

Was only joking with ya because we always talked about how clean the hacking was when we fished together. I fished the harbour, the spit and botany for donkey years but i will now need a very good reason to leave the hacking. Cheers cg.

George, in case you're wondering what "no,no,no" is in my previously reply....I wrote CM(no no no) but for some reason it came out as "no, no, no"....weird aye

Chris

Sure is a small world, That will be a big buzz to fish with jimmy and hopefully that reel screams like the dvd. Cheers cg.

George your not wrong i thougt we were bad at stocking fishing gear supplies as we just about have every angle covererd jim is the same.Love the taxiderm fish his done,regret not doing my tropy fish, ate them instead :biggrin2: .Definately a small world.You out on sunday?