Japanese Tackle

JET01

I'm mostly into SP fishing and have a friend that's going over to Japan and Guam this year.

I normally fishing with Shimano tackle, but there seems to be a lot of mention about Japanese tackle on these forums and was wondering if there was anything that he could bring back for me that we can't get in Australia for a decent price.

( I know Shimano is Japanese before you all get carried away ;) )

If you have any website links that you can't post on here a pm would be great.

If you got the cash, perhaps you can purchase some japanese domestic reels. Some rods i hear are very good quality over there in which they aren't available here in Aus. I think maybe Lures would be cheaper in Japan

Rods and reels ain't cheaper but you are buying quality.

A Stella here is a lower quality than a Stella there for example. Although you must try them side by side to notice the difference.

Buys stacks of lures as they are still much cheaper. They fish for bream, jewies (japanese meagre), snapper (madai), kings etc regularly in their waters. So pretty much any lures should work back here.

Be warned they have more lures to attract fishermen than fish too. I bought 2x $100 (after coversion) GT poppers just because they look nice. And they don't even come with hooks!

My wife just returned from Japan and brought back a stack of bream whiting etc lures for the second time. They are top quality and dirt cheap. She knows very little about what she bought. Check the markets out. She bought them in Sapporo.

Could not believe she bought more fishing lures as I have soooooo many already. She said they look pretty.

Rods and reels ain't cheaper but you are buying quality.

A Stella here is a lower quality than a Stella there for example. Although you must try them side by side to notice the difference.

Buys stacks of lures as they are still much cheaper. They fish for bream, jewies (japanese meagre), snapper (madai), kings etc regularly in their waters. So pretty much any lures should work back here.

Be warned they have more lures to attract fishermen than fish too. I bought 2x $100 (after coversion) GT poppers just because they look nice. And they don't even come with hooks!

Hmmm .. I am not sure if they are lower quality. They all run the same bearings and gears. There are a few minor exceptions on bearing typs but again, minimal difference. The main diffeences tend to be handles, spools and drag knobs. I have 10 Stellas of various model number. I have 6 x JDMs (Japanese domestic market) and the rest are US/Australian models (think FD & FE). There isn't any difference in terms of performance or longevity.

Edited by Cephalopod

I spent some time in japan last yr which i visited a few tackles stores. Like everyone said the reels are jus abit cheaper then over here due to the strong yen. So make a list for lures,jigs and nick nacks is your best option. Yen was 77 when i went but its floating around 82 which is a improvement!

ok...not lower quality but different. but yes i would expect performance and longevity to be the same

you can certainly feel the difference though. i did find the the japanese smoother and that was before i was told where they'd come from. this goes with the torsa's too.

Hmmm .. I am not sure if they are lower quality. They all run the same bearings and gears. There are a few minor exceptions on bearing typs but again, minimal difference. The main diffeences tend to be handles, spools and drag knobs. I have 10 Stellas of various model number. I have 6 x JDMs (Japanese domestic market) and the rest are US/Australian models (think FD & FE). There isn't any difference in terms of performance or longevity.

I'm mostly into SP fishing and have a friend that's going over to Japan and Guam this year.

I normally fishing with Shimano tackle, but there seems to be a lot of mention about Japanese tackle on these forums and was wondering if there was anything that he could bring back for me that we can't get in Australia for a decent price.

( I know Shimano is Japanese before you all get carried away ;) )

If you have any website links that you can't post on here a pm would be great.

Jumbo tackle in Tokyo (Shibuya station, west exit, up and over footbridge and turn left)has three floors of tackle. Loads of softies, hardbodies, reels and rods to choose from. Prices for hardbodies (and some reels) are cheaper than here - esp the top end. I spent a bundle there last week and would focus on lures.