Braid or mono?

rjc123

Hey guys,

ive noticed that braided line is alot more expensive than mono line. Why is this the case. I'm planning on targeting a few jews at bar pt in a week and have some 50lb mono line but to get braided line its another 70 bucks. Can i still use the mono line for jews??

gday mate, I wouldnt worry about getting braided line If your fishing bar point. I only use braided line if I need some serious stopping power such as around moored boats or bridges etc, in fact I would probably downsize the mono that your using to around 15lb but be prepared to up anchor and chase the fish if you get a seriously big one. I have found that you will handle jew to around 30lb in open water on 15lb line no trouble at all. I caught an 18lb jew at batemans bay only a week or so ago on 12lb line and had no problems whatsoever.In fact i feel you will get a lot more fish interested in actually taking a bait if you fish lighter.

good luck

pete

Get the braid dude.. so much thinner for its breaking strain and much easier to cast. For Jews, braid is not essential but personally, I wouldn't use anything else. If you are fishig around rocks, be aware that braid does not have good abrasion resistance. Also, you will need a new set of knots for braid. The old 7 turn blood knot doesn't work!! :biggrin2: