NOISY DAIWA REELS

johnboy

Has anybody else out there been experiencing a light to medium scraping sound comeing from within the rotor & spool of there Daiwa reels on retrieval .I own three Daiwa reels

1- Daiwa Emblem Pro 5500

2- Daiwa Capricorn 1500

3- Daiwa kastor 1500 And they all make that annoying sound,I also have a mate who owns a Daiwa HD 3500 and i know of others who are experiencing this problem i am close to switching over to Shimano as i have had a gut full. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH DAIWA REELS YOUR HAVING PROBLEMS WITH < I might also add all my fishing gear gets well looked after and has never been immersed in water or washed under running water just wiped over with a damp rag then a drop of oil on the usual areas.Any feedback appreciated on this matter.

G'day spinman,

The first thing I'd be checking out is your line roller bearings, rather than the spool rotor. Do the reels make the noise when you turn them without line running over the roller or only when you're retrieving line?

For some reason the line roller bearings in Daiwa reels fail (or at least degrade) very regularly. I've had to swap them on lots of Daiwa reels and usually replace them with after market stainless/ceramic hybrid bearings. They seem to last longer. I'm not an engineer but something about the line roller design seems to result in the bearings wearing quickly... my guess is that it's something about water intrusion or it's inability to get back out.

Daiwa reels are great reels though. Generally speaking their engineering/design is more sophisticated than Shimano's but also more complicated and temperamental. Shimano's is more simple and reliable but less sophisticated. It's personal preference, they're both equally good (or bad) in their own way.

With all that said, I now mostly buy ABU reels :biggrin2:

Cheers, Slinky

G,Day Slinkymalinky,

After reading your informative post and giving it some thought your absolutely correct in regards to the problem being in the line roller bearings.I tested all reels and none of them made any noise when the line was not connected so thankyou very much for rectifying that problem for me much appreciated ,I will now replace them with some aftermarket stainless ones as for the ABU reels i have the 7500 - 7000 - 6500 - 5600 -

1600c iar - 10000 -black max 3600 as you know they are top reels easy to work on and parts are cheap.

Cheers Spinman,

Well well well, thanks for starting this thread spinman and thanks for the informative reply slinky. My TD SOL 2500 makes a horrible noise when there's line running around the line roller and I was considering pulling it down to work out whick bearing was gone (following the instructions in Slinkys SOL maintenance post of course ;) ). I'll check out the line roller bearing when I get home.....hopefully thats it!!!

BTW, can you recommend somewhere to get the aftermarket stainless/ceramic bearing from?

Ya gotta love the Fishraider knowledge bank :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: ...amazing!!!

Well well well, thanks for starting this thread spinman and thanks for the informative reply slinky. My TD SOL 2500 makes a horrible noise when there's line running around the line roller and I was considering pulling it down to work out whick bearing was gone (following the instructions in Slinkys SOL maintenance post of course ;) ). I'll check out the line roller bearing when I get home.....hopefully thats it!!!

BTW, can you recommend somewhere to get the aftermarket stainless/ceramic bearing from?

Ya gotta love the Fishraider knowledge bank :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: ...amazing!!!

http://www.bocabearings.com/ (wider range)

http://www.smoothdrag.com/ (better prices)

(All members please note that even I have had to get permission from admin to post this link... don't do likewise without asking first)

Cheers, Slinky

My sol 4000 had the same problem but my bearings were rusted because of a massive wave that hit it. I sent it back to Daiwa and they replaced all my bearings with Certate bearings and gears. Cost me 75 buks but now its fine.

I remove all my Daiwa roller bearings before use and pack them with Daiwa blue grease (squeeze it in using your thumb and forefinger). This stops the water getting in which is the chief cause of your problems. Roller bearings can be greased since they are load bearing and only need to turn under the load of the line. My roller bearings typically last 4 or 5 years before needing replacement. If you have a rough bearing, remove it and soak it in a small jar of Shellite or acetone for an hour or so (with a few shakes) and then dry with a hairdyer or compressed air. Will often remedy the problem if the bearing is not too corroded.

REPLACED ALL MY LINE ROLLER BEARINGS YESTERDAY & SMEARED SOME BLUE DAIWA GREASE ON BOTH SIDES AND CAN SAY ALL MY REELS ARE RUNNING SMOOTH AS NOW SO THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN SLINKY & THANKYOU STREWTH.

REGARDS SPINMAN :thumbup:

I forgot to mention that some suppliers allow you to order the bearings "pre-greased" or "dry". Boca has this option.

G,Day Slinkymalinky,

After reading your informative post and giving it some thought your absolutely correct in regards to the problem being in the line roller bearings.I tested all reels and none of them made any noise when the line was not connected so thankyou very much for rectifying that problem for me much appreciated ,I will now replace them with some aftermarket stainless ones as for the ABU reels i have the 7500 - 7000 - 6500 - 5600 -

1600c iar - 10000 -black max 3600 as you know they are top reels easy to work on and parts are cheap.

Cheers Spinman,

Hi I have found lately that most new model reels (include ABU ) quality is not of the top standard any longer.Since they where manufactured in the East ? I found that many parts that hardly ever rusted .Now is rusting much faster than in the past . Even bearings ?

Your guys thought on this will also be appreciated ?

Hi I have found lately that most new model reels (include ABU ) quality is not of the top standard any longer.Since they where manufactured in the East ? I found that many parts that hardly ever rusted .Now is rusting much faster than in the past . Even bearings ?

Your guys thought on this will also be appreciated ?

In part, you're right Fritz. The trend over the last 5-10 years to use the number of bearings as a main advertising feature of many reels has meant that some reels end up with a lot of cheap bearings rather than a few good ones. In some cases, I've seen reels with 5 or 6 bearings that aren't even stainless steel used in reels.

The quality of materials and the precision of bearings are the 2 main factors in their price. When you consider that at retail good quality bearings cost upwards of $10 each that makes a reel-full very expensive. If you're buying a reel advertising that it has 5 or more bearings... and it's cheap... then you can almost bet that the bearings will be low quality.

At the top end of the market, the quality of bearings is very good. I'd also say that IMHO, Shimano AR-B bearings are the best quality of any of the main manufacturers' standard bearings. I have a lot of confidence in them.

Cheers, Slinky

Hi I agree with you 100%

Its my opinion that I rather buy/sell a reel with (fix spool grinder) 3 good ball bearings. 1 on pinion under rotor and 2 on both sides of main gear.Than these 10 plus ball bearing reels with junk bearings. Like the Daiwa BG 20/30/60 series reels .Old school but they can handle lot of punishment.

These new generation bearings like " AR-B bearings " are very good and can last a life time,if well looked after. I have been repairing and servicing reels for many years and have found that even these good/or stainless bearings .If left uncleaned for to long .Get damaged by salt water .

I have many customers that only visit the coast 1 or 2 weeks a year. I always say to them if you got your reels very wet, with salt water.Clean if when you get back and not just before you want to go fish the next year.

By us the guys do a lot of surf launching and these boats when off loaded in surf .Get a large number of salt water and sand on the deck. If the guys like most do, let their rod and reels remain flat on deck.These reels need much maintenance.Other wise they will need to replace bearings at least once a year. Most of these guys on the boats prefer the Shimano TLD 25 reel. The bearing under the drag lever then get much sand and water. I have seen bearings (original Shimano fitted ) so rusted that I could not believe it !

I have been using ABU reels since 1975 when I got my first 9000 C for rock & surf fishing and just love them. The past 15 years I only use the Daiwa SL 30 and 50 range mainly due to the faster retrieve 6.1:1 Help a lot on the rocks to save on sinkers.

Like I said before I am very disappointed in the materials used by all manufactures lately. Even the bearings fitted in ABU's from Pure Fishing models are just not the same quality when they came from Sweden many years ago . That is also true to many other parts on ABU , Penn ,Daiwa ,Shimano etc reels.

If you look at the 2 x photos attached of ABU 7000 C pawls, used by same guy for same period of almost 4 years . The one is 'n ABU China supplied model and the other one is an original Sweden model.This pawl in fact has been in the reel, for way more years than the other one. But both has now been using for say 4 years,with service of reel when owner returned. The damage by salt water, is clearly visible on the one pawl

This same situation I have found with bearings of reels .

post-16491-065953000 1295706478_thumb.jpg

post-16491-069848200 1295706491_thumb.jpg