Mahi Mahi Rig

leatherjacket

Hey mate,

There are heaps of rigs you can use for mahi mahi. It just depends on their mood and what you feel like.

There are days where they are going bananas and you can them on just about anything. When they are not fussy you can catch heaps with 60lb leader straight to the hook and a pillie cube. If they are fussier you will get them on an unweighted livie. Again if this doesn't work, add some weight to the rig to keep your livie down deep as often this will induce a strike when surface baits are failing. You could use a running sinker for example. Even when i fish light outfits i try and use as heavy leader as possible to reduce the risk of them wearing through the line.

On days when you know they are there but they are very fussy (as which can happen at the FADs quite a bit) you are best off scaling down your leader and letting your bait drift unweighted down a berley trail a considerable distance from the boat. On some days i have fished as light as 12lb leader to get them. The only problem is they have very abrasive teeth and anything other than a hook right in the corner of the jaw will probably mean a lost fish if it is anything decent!

Hey mate,

There are heaps of rigs you can use for mahi mahi. It just depends on their mood and what you feel like.

There are days where they are going bananas and you can them on just about anything. When they are not fussy you can catch heaps with 60lb leader straight to the hook and a pillie cube. If they are fussier you will get them on an unweighted livie. Again if this doesn't work, add some weight to the rig to keep your livie down deep as often this will induce a strike when surface baits are failing. You could use a running sinker for example. Even when i fish light outfits i try and use as heavy leader as possible to reduce the risk of them wearing through the line.

On days when you know they are there but they are very fussy (as which can happen at the FADs quite a bit) you are best off scaling down your leader and letting your bait drift unweighted down a berley trail a considerable distance from the boat. On some days i have fished as light as 12lb leader to get them. The only problem is they have very abrasive teeth and anything other than a hook right in the corner of the jaw will probably mean a lost fish if it is anything decent!

This is pretty much how i approach it. Start with a wide lap towing 2 surface livies pinned through the nostrils, I have the reel in free spool. Then pull up up current of the FAD and throw a couple of handfuls of pilchard cubes over. Leave one of the surface livies out and on another rod a whole pilchard on 2 6/0 gamma octopus circle hooks. I have the bottom hook through the head and the top hook towards the tail end. The top hook is free sliding on the trace and the bait fixed with 2 opposing half hitches around the tail. I fish similar leaders as mentioned above, Starting heavy and working down to 10lb fluoro on a bream stick if required. Circle hooks are a good way of getting the hook in the corner of the mouth and line away from the teeth. I usually start fishing the pilchards on baitrunners and if i have to go light i use a 2500 stradic on a rack raider with the bail arm open.

One draw back of this pilchard method is mutton birds if they are around. You can use ball sinkers to try to get the baits down but the birds will still dive for the baits. A tuna oil slick can help deter the birds from diving for your baits.

This is pretty much how i approach it. Start with a wide lap towing 2 surface livies pinned through the nostrils, I have the reel in free spool. Then pull up up current of the FAD and throw a couple of handfuls of pilchard cubes over. Leave one of the surface livies out and on another rod a whole pilchard on 2 6/0 gamma octopus circle hooks. I have the bottom hook through the head and the top hook towards the tail end. The top hook is free sliding on the trace and the bait fixed with 2 opposing half hitches around the tail. I fish similar leaders as mentioned above, Starting heavy and working down to 10lb fluoro on a bream stick if required. Circle hooks are a good way of getting the hook in the corner of the mouth and line away from the teeth. I usually start fishing the pilchards on baitrunners and if i have to go light i use a 2500 stradic on a rack raider with the bail arm open.

One draw back of this pilchard method is mutton birds if they are around. You can use ball sinkers to try to get the baits down but the birds will still dive for the baits. A tuna oil slick can help deter the birds from diving for your baits.

thanks guys! some great info there! :thumbup: