Changed by propellor, does this look right?

NickF

Hi guys and gals,

I upgraded from a 3 blade Vengeance to a 4 blade Trophy Plus and have noticed the blade diameter is the same (13 3/4 in) for both, but the centre barrel the blades are attached to is narrower on the 4-blade as you can see in the pics, and it doesn't fit right to the edges of the leg whereas the 3 blader sat flush with the circumference of the leg.

Does this matter? As long as the prop fits securely and the blade diameter is the same am I ok?

Need urgent feedback as I am due to take it out this afternoon.

Many Thanks

post-16729-067011800 1295659891_thumb.jpg

post-16729-096908700 1295659902_thumb.jpg

post-16729-001810700 1295659915_thumb.jpg

post-16729-013643500 1295659925_thumb.jpg

post-16729-064449800 1295659932_thumb.jpg

Nick

Thats a small hub prop on a large hub gearbox I think. If it is going to cause problems it will be exhaust gas venting from the sides. You'll most notice this when accelerating to get on the plane. Gun the motor from standing and if the revs peak out with no increase in speed like the prop is slipping there is too much "vent" and the prop is spinning in air. There is a ring you can get to fill that gap if you want to keep that prop.

Are the black vent plugs around the prop barrel all solid or do they have holes in?

C.

Edited by chrisg

It'd be expensive to get a large hub prop, another $650.

It's a 1994 Mariner Magnum 175hp EFI.

Any help would be appreciated!

Opps and the vent plugs are sealed up no holes.

Edited by NickF

Don't be so quick to sell Nick.... give it a go. An exhaust ring will fix the gap issue if needs be but it may the venting will actually help your holeshot. Rpm wise you'll loose a 100 or so being a four blade but gain 3 - 400 with the pitch. Do you do any towing of inflatables? Might be the prop for that where you need the take off but not the top speed.

BTW the Trophy Plus is only a small hub prop as far as I remember...the very early ones were large.

Just a thought.

Edited by chrisg

Yeah we do tow an inflatable, and I had 5 adults and 6 kids (11 people total) on the other day and it was sluggish with the 3 blade. I wont be using it for top end, just cruising with a heavy load on and towing the kids. The vengeance is my "go fast" prop.

Do they sell those rings at BCF?

No...Huey at Huett Marine might be able to get one. They are a Mercury Part specific for the Trophy.

Before you spend $$ give it a go...my Trophy sits just as yours does so chances are it could all work well as your fully loaded tube prop. Trim full down for take off and trim the motor out as you break onto the plane.

Without trying you won't know....

Let us know how it goes.

C.

Don't panic Nick, Trophy plus props have a smaller diameter hub on the large gearcase, this is how they are> They are a sports prop, I have one on my bullet with a 225 merc, good for 80+ mph.

On my Trophy I use a Vensura ( 4 blade offshore prop) and an enertia 3 blade, in my opinion one of the best props around.

I was thinking of getting an Enertia myself! I've heard some awesome stories about them. I assume if I have a 21P Vengeance then I'd go for a 21P Enertia?

The pitch will depend on the boat you have and the application, if you want to ski, tow stuff or heavy loads , maybe a 19" will do .

If you are pulling full revs at WOT with your 21", then a 21" Enertia will do the job .

I pull around the 2000-2200 kgs with my 18" and I get around the 5600 at WOT but I have a 200hp with 1.75 box, I think your box is 1.87.

Yeah mine is 1.87.

Supposedly the Enteria is the beez neez, from what I can gather is has greater rake than the Vengeance overall better performance due to thinner blades etc.

According to Mercury I'll see improved holeshot and top end but hey you can only give things a try right?