Advice needed on replacing a Shimano TSS4

meathead

Well after nearly 20 years of faithful service my TSS4 has just about had it. I'm looking for a bit of advice on what to replace it with.

Primarily it has been used off the rocks as a high speed spin reel with 8 kilo line on my 10ft spin rod but I also use it on the beach as a 2nd setup when conditions are right.

What should I replace it with? My budget would be up to $300.

Thanks for your help!

Well after nearly 20 years of faithful service my TSS4 has just about had it. I'm looking for a bit of advice on what to replace it with.

Primarily it has been used off the rocks as a high speed spin reel with 8 kilo line on my 10ft spin rod but I also use it on the beach as a 2nd setup when conditions are right.

Thanks for your help!

I would have to say an 8000 stradic not as fast as the tss4 but not far of it.and a lot better reel.they are about$250. I still have my old tss4 it's like new but I don't use it anymore.

G'day Meathead,

If you want something fast but with the new style long-cast spool, a strong drag and reasonably rugged... have a look at a Daiwa Sealine Bull 4500 (NOT the Opus Bull).

The combination of gear ratio and extra wide spool makes it super fast. I've got one and have been very happy with it.

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks for your help!

have mate

well i replaced my old tss4 with the daiwa saltist 4500 . It has a gear ratio of 6.2 to 1 cheers

I would highly recommend the STRADIC 6000 OR 8000 both have same size body the 8000 has a deeper spool .These reels are incredibly smooth and feel very robust and i reckon would last you the next ten years.For price $220 $245 if you shop around .

Thanks for the replies guys.

The Stradic is definitely at the top of my list at the moment as I am a Shimano fan.

Ron what do (did I guess now) you use the Saltist for? That's a bad fault on an otherwise quality reel. Was it covered under warranty?

Thanks for the replies guys.

The Stradic is definitely at the top of my list at the moment as I am a Shimano fan.

Ron what do (did I guess now) you use the Saltist for? That's a bad fault on an otherwise quality reel. Was it covered under warranty?

mate lucky for me the reel wasn't mine I was looking to buy a new reel when I seen it on another site.I'm a shimano fan anyway but I was thinking of buying saltist but not anymore I will stick to shimano.