Sounders

Captain Pugwash

Hello all,

after some advice on a new sounder.

The Black Pig is coming out of the water for it's annual checkup and I want to fit a new sounder. Given how often we go out I am keen to get a good one.

I have been advised to get a Lowrance.

Could you share your thoughts please as I have no idea?

Thanks

Pete

I am doing the same thing before the summer and will be getting a Lowrance x107cdf with a through hull transducer, just gotta find the best place to get one! The new lowrance models are pretty impressive for the money. I would definately look at getting a thru hull mounted, they have better performance and with a moored boat they're a lot better IMO.

Guest Jocool
I'm not sure how I would go with a through hull one. The boat is a cat so I guess it would have to live in the engine bay. Would that work?

Pete

48644[/snapback]

Pete...as long as it is on the bottom of the boat, on a part that is always in the water, it should be sweet. Im sure there would be no shortage of places. And I don't see a problem with it in the engine room as long as it doesnt get excessively hot!

Here is an example of a thru hull type transducer, they are a neat setup and their performance is second to none, they're also a much better option for a boat that is moored. Only problem is drilling a hole in your hull.

020356.JPG

Guest Jocool

There is another option....shoot through hull....Explained below and quoted directly of the Lowrance site.

Shoot-Thru-Hull Mount

In this installation, the transducer is bonded to the inside of the hull with epoxy. Ideally, the transducer is placed in the aft third of the hull close to the centerline. The signal "shoots through" the hull with some loss of signal strength. This installation must be made in an area of the hull that is made from solid fiberglass, with no air bubbles or separated layers. If the hull is of multi-layer or "sandwich" construction, you will have to remove the inner layer of fiberglass and the wood or foam core to expose the outer layer of the hull. This type of mount is recommended only with 192 or 200 kHz transducers.

Bolt-Thru-Hull Mount

In this type of installation, a hole is cut in the hull and the transducer is mounted through the hull by means of a threaded shaft and nut. If the boat hull has a dead rise higher than 10 degrees, fairing blocks made from wood or plastic must be fabricated so that the transducer will mount in a completely vertical position. 

On in-boards, the transducer must be installed ahead of the propeller, shaft(s), and engine water intake(s).

If the boat's hull is made of steel or aluminum, use a plastic transducer to prevent electrolysis problems.

Thanks Gents,

The shoot through hull option sounds great for a boat that is in the water fulltime. My current hummingbird is always fouling causing me to jump in the water to clean it. ( No fun in winter! ). I would prefer a colour sounder in the best quality I can get. With what it costs in marina fees, fuel, tonnes of gear and bait why not have the best sounder you can get?

Lowrance seems to be the go. What model do you recommend?

Thanks again

Pete

If you really want the best colour sounders, then I would probably look at a raymarine, koden, furuno the Lowrance x107 seems to be the best value going around at the moment though.

• 2 weeks later...
If you really want the best colour sounders, then I would probably look at a raymarine, koden, furuno the Lowrance x107 seems to be the best value going around at the moment though.

48709[/snapback]

I own a Lowrance X91, it's only a grayscale basic sounder. From my own experience Lowrance sounders are not reliable at all, their customer service is also crappy. Took them a whole month to get mine fixed, and guess what there's nothing wrong with the sounder they said and they charged me $80 for their stinky service.

My Lowrance have f**k up a lot more than it has helped me finding fish.

Guest Jocool
My Lowrance have f**k up a lot more than it has helped me finding fish.

50191[/snapback]

Mario...I have an X65 and it's been brilliant. Had it for 2 years, and Hasn't missed a beat. I have even left it running a couple of times by accident while driving home and it has never been a prob! :thumbup:

Mario...I have an X65 and it's been brilliant. Had it for 2 years, and Hasn't missed a beat. I have even left it running a couple of times by accident while driving home and it has never been a prob! :thumbup:

50278[/snapback]

Everything's wrong with mine Joe. :thumbdown:

and the customer service people at Lowrance are also not helping.

My understanding is that lowrance sounders are pretty good gear. However they often have problems, but I have heard the opposite with their customer service. I know one bloke who returned his sounder under warranty and it was replaced with another unit worth about $1500 more than the one he originally had. :1yikes: They are good value at the moment, but if you really want quality gear, stick to the brands that are into the commercial stuff, raymarine, koden/sitex, JRC, simrad etc...

Well once again Lowrance Customer Service have let me down.

They sent me a new set of power cables, which they thought that was the problem with my unit. I tried it again a moment ago and it still doesn't work.

I've sent the unit over to Lowrance once and paid $80 !!! and they still didn't fix the problem. It's really pissing me off

Man .... I'm gonna scream at them on Monday !! :ranting2:

Guest Jocool

Try a different power source. Try it direct of the battery. Maybe the wiring is earthing somehow between your fuse and the unit. Better still...connect it direct to the battery on your CAR....maybe that will help narrow down the problem.

Humminbird I have never had a problem with.

They find fish for me.

I would send it back demanding a refund. The sounder does not do the job required.  And go and buy a humminbird.

52135[/snapback]

I sent the unit back to them this week, and they said they're not gonna charge me another $80. So fingers crossed, it'll be working fine this time around.

• 3 weeks later...
I sent the unit back to them this week, and they said they're not gonna charge me another $80. So fingers crossed, it'll be working fine this time around.

52142[/snapback]

After many phone calls, and a dozen of blown fuses,

Lowrance decided to issue me a brand new X91, at no extra charge.

cheers,

Mario

I got my Lowrance X88DF from the states. Had a problem with the transducer & it was all worked out via email with their customer service people & I had a new transducer in 5 days. All from the states.

Would have taken me longer if I'd bought local I reckon, with me having to send the old transducer to them, then they test it & then send a new one back.

Edited by Heath

Hello all,

after some advice on a new sounder.

The Black Pig is coming out of the water for it's annual checkup and I want to fit a new sounder. Given how often we go out I am keen to get a good one.

I have been advised to get a Lowrance.

Could you share your thoughts please as I have no idea?

Thanks

Pete

48582[/snapback]

I've got a furuno ls-4100. Top sounder.

Never had a problems. :biggrin2: