best vehicles for towing

PRED-ATOR

Mate i reckon the TRD can smoke the rear wheels even with a boat on it :biggrin2: they got some seriously grunt.

Ive got a hilux TD and tows my 5.3 half cabin fully loaded with gear and she does alright. Its not about how much power it makes it about when it makes the torque which starts at 1500rpm to 3500rpm! She has a moduel in it now which makes towing a breeze :thumbup:

I always stick with the major petrol station to fill up and always get the receipt for 2 reason... tax and proof that you fill the tank. Ive read that if you can prove that the diesel you pour in your car which comtaminated your fuel system, they are liable for the repair bill if you have proof. hence the receipt.

my vy v6 ute needed a new clutch after 100 000, car never been abused .I have owned it since new ,worst thing i have ever bought. the list of failures is unbelievable and holden mechanics have been banned from comming anywhere near it..i have a hiace work van and the mrs has a corolla both with 300 000+ ks neither ever look like stopping.my mate bought a au xr8 falcon same time its was sold after 2 motor changes in 2 years( under warranty) i wont buy another aussie car period...do yourself a favour buy japanese...sorry for the rant car anoys me every time i look at it, and ive run out of people to winge to... lol

The other thing that it may be mate is the clutch. This will not be an overly expensive repair to replace. I was thinking about this a bit over the last few days and it sounds like it might be more of the issue than the transmission. There is nothing wrong with towing in manuals, and i dont think you would notice much of a difference performance wise between auto and manual, and to be honest i prefer manual for climbing big hills. Also, 4wd will only be needed if the ramps are slippery, you should be fine with most around sydney. I tow in a 4wd hilux, but i have never needed to engage 4wd on any ramp, i have a 4.5m quintrex.

my vy v6 ute needed a new clutch after 100 000, car never been abused .I have owned it since new ,worst thing i have ever bought. the list of failures is unbelievable and holden mechanics have been banned from comming anywhere near it..i have a hiace work van and the mrs has a corolla both with 300 000+ ks neither ever look like stopping.my mate bought a au xr8 falcon same time its was sold after 2 motor changes in 2 years( under warranty) i wont buy another aussie car period...do yourself a favour buy japanese...sorry for the rant car anoys me every time i look at it, and ive run out of people to winge to... lol

I work for holden, you must of just went to the wrong dealership, cause i could assure you nothing bodgey happens at mine, and we have a reputation to stand by

Firstly you have to decide where your planning to fish when getting your tow vechile , if your doing close trips most 6 cylinder cars upwards will do , if your planning towing to the north coast , south coast or queensland you will need a bigger car preferably a 4WD as some ramps do get slippery at low tide . I tow with a 4WD , lots of weight in the vechile when its windy towing and good solid brakes if you have ever had trailers sway while towing you will know what i mean . Very scary in a small car. If you ever travel up Mount Ousley you will always see someone broken down at the top , Buy a V8 or big diesel and you will be towing 80km/h up there and cruising :biggrin2: .

cheers Dogtooth..... :1fishing1: John..... :beersmile:

G'day folks,

Recently i sold my 97 subaru legacy GTB and bought a 2002 holden vx commodore. reason for sale was i needed something with a bit more lower end torque to tow the boat with (boat is about 500-600kg with braked trailer). the car is a 5 speed manual.

Ive noticed, to my disappointment that this commodore is just as bad as the subaru if not worse.

What are the best vehicles to tow boats with under 40K? - understand there are many vehicle classes e.g. 4WD etc but i thought we could just throw some names out there regardless of class.

Please help : (

Cheers, Stan

Gday,

I have a nissan navara str 3.0lt turbo diesel 2003 model. I reckon it could tow a house. I have a 6.5mt dehavilland full cabin boat that i reckon weighs in well over 1200kg and it has no probs anytime. I reckon you could pick one up for around 15-18k depending on condition.

• 1 year later...
Guest Aussie007

just be glad u bought a commodore and it got u to the ramp and back without breaking down like a falcon :074: ive owned commodores for the last 13 years first was a VB V8 commie than i owned a VN commie for 8 years and it seen a heck of a lot of towing a 14ft half cabin fibreglass boat now ive been driving a VR commie for the past 4-5 years just because it has the same engine as the VN with this VR i have towed a 5.6m swift craft half cabin fibreglass that weighed a heck of a load now currently towing a 4.3m quintrex and going up mt ouzley in wollengong is a piece of cake sits on 80kph all the way up around 2/3rd throttle in 3rd gear (automatic) i think your problem is very clear why your unhappy with your commodore your doing 90kph in 5th gear :074: mate i do 90kph in 3rd gear on the automatic and 110kph in drive and its a dream thats without the engine kicking in and working hard i think your short shifting the commodore let it rev out more in lower gears my VR auto sits around 2500-3500 cruizing on the speed limit towing my quintrex doing 100kph as for the boat ramp issue welcome to rear wheel drive family sedans ive been stuck before trying to pull the 5.6m boat up a sea weed infested ramp others on here suggested using the hand brake to slow the wheels down to get traction

good luck with it

You definitely have some issues there, we tow the easy rider 156 im guessing at least 500kg with my brothers mitsubishi magna vrx. It definitely has an effect on the car and you will always have a loss in performance when towing. But the magna pulls really well, he even over takes lol, and before the lecture starts there are a lot of old grannies that drive at 70 - 80km/h sometimes even slower in a 100 zone on the way to the shoalhaven river, tends to be a touristy road so most of the people that use it have no respect for anyone else on the road. It cruises nicely easily at 100km/h.

I have a navara 3L turbo diesel which we dont use much for the boat, but its done a fair bit of towing with the horse float, tows well but once you have the 1 tonne horse float and 2 500-600kg horses it starts to show lol, it pulls hard but it just doesnt like holding big speeds (100km/h) up long hills (melb to sydney) but that is understandable. The down side of the diesel is the $$$ to repair if something goes wrong, especially the common rail, my dads been a mechanic since he was 16 although its not his main job now be he reckons the common rail is an awesome engine and puts up good power but if you have problems its massive $$$ for repairs.

Mate,

Towing a 700-800kg formosa with a BA Falcon with no problem. would agree with the others. something wrong with the car. went down to JB at average 95k/h with no issues. i noted though fuel quality had a significant impact. went down on vpower which was great. came back up on the local stuff and the car struggled.

cheers.

Dan

which formosa is it, hey have some very nice designs

formosa dont build a hull under 520kg

hull 520

trailer 270ish

outboard 120ish

fuel 70l so 60kg

anchor chain rope 40g

radios sounders batterys saftery gear 100kg

so more likley 1100-1200kg

and to the op dont tow in 5th you will come to a hill load the engine and box up and twist the overdrive off the side of the box

i currently have a dual cab bt-50 automatic 4x4 it towed my old boat 600kg and you didn tknow it was there

the new boat is a bit bgger 1100kg and more wind resistance but sits on 100 uphill easily

Toyota Hilux !! All that need be said !

Good price for an awesome unstoppable vehicle!

There cheap on fuel, very good low end torque to pull the boat but still alotta hp to keep you moving on a freeway !!

Also it's a Toyota !! There built like tanks n basically made never to break down !! I tow my tinny at the moment with an old 94 model hilux ute !! 1.8 or 2L 4 cylinder !!

The newer hilux in ur price range are 2L+ V6 motors !!! So IMO hilux is the way to go !!

lol guys i sold that holden and bought a xr6 and it tows like a demon.

I cruise so easily and over take its got no problem definately not buying a holden again. that being said ford have there fair share of poblems also.

Im now tossing up between a land cruiser 200 series or a range rover sport as i am looking at getting a bigger boat.

If anyone has the xr6 make sure you put a transmission cooler in it.

As for the hilux, the xr6 has a higher towing rating lol lucky its got 4wd and bullet proof or knowone would fork out 50k