Dolphinfish

greg123

Hi all, I'm new to game/offshore fishing and would like to start by targeting dollies off sydney (maybe at the FADS).

Would anyone like to give me some basic ideas of rigs or lure set ups etc that I could use. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I have suitable gear for the job (2 15-24kg shimano rods, one with a tld 20 and the other with a 25 spooled with 30lb mono)

cheers,

Greg

basic rig i use just 20lb braid connected to a bb swivel 1m of 30lb leader no sinker and a 6/0 circle for livies. always have enough leader to your hook as they tend to chew up the leader. just cast a livie and hold on they are fun when they are hot on the bite often have at least 5 at a time chasing the livie

Thanks for the replies, hopefully I'll have some success on the weekend.

Are the FADS holding any at the moment ?

no worrys

tryed port fad saturday and had no luck although i was out later i would try through the week so there is less chance of other boats spooking them.

From what ive seen the current is still moving 1.5 - 2kn. There were quite a few tee branches moving down over the weekend and every one we saw we checked out but to no avail, actually thought one branch was a sunning marlin because of the way it lay in the water you could of heard me screaming from the heads and you then would of fallen out of the boat laughing when i realised it was a branch :074::074: . The wave rider buoy wasnt holding and neither were the inshore fads. CSIRO has current still between 1.5 - 2kn and stronger over the shelf. IMHO Since the current is on the move trolling might be the go for them.

From what ive seen the current is still moving 1.5 - 2kn. There were quite a few tee branches moving down over the weekend and every one we saw we checked out but to no avail, actually thought one branch was a sunning marlin because of the way it lay in the water you could of heard me screaming from the heads and you then would of fallen out of the boat laughing when i realised it was a branch :074::074: . The wave rider buoy wasnt holding and neither were the inshore fads. CSIRO has current still between 1.5 - 2kn and stronger over the shelf. IMHO Since the current is on the move trolling might be the go for them.

Hi I'm from Taree and I was out at the shelf on the weekend and those branches out there got us two 13 kilo , 135cm bulls!!! And many bust offs even with 300 pound leaders. So if your going out wide look for those branches!! water was 24.5 deg. Also hooked and lost on my first Marlin!!!

Steve.

This is my mate Dom with his 13kilo bull!

post-9478-081336700 1295997325_thumb.jpg

Hi I'm from Taree and I was out at the shelf on the weekend and those branches out there got us two 13 kilo , 135cm bulls!!! And many bust offs even with 300 pound leaders. So if your going out wide look for those branches!! water was 24.5 deg. Also hooked and lost on my first Marlin!!!

Steve.

This is my mate Dom with his 13kilo bull!

Well done batty! Were you using live bait as well? I've heard they take diving lures also, is this common? If so what sort of lures do they like? I've got some small to very large x-raps of varying colours.

Well done batty! Were you using live bait as well? I've heard they take diving lures also, is this common? If so what sort of lures do they like? I've got some small to very large x-raps of varying colours.

Hi greg,

yes using live bait after we found them, they love slimies, i also use x-raps in the 20 and 30s, but we were trolling skirted lures. Depends on the mood they are in but these ones we found would take just about anything. I caught one on a skirted lure i just flicked out about 10 metres and was on nearly straight away.

Good luck, Steve.