Leak in hull

rewob

mate when you have your boat on the trailer, get your hose and put in on one of the bung holes and turn the water on. Get someone to check out the hull while you are filling it up with water, you will see the water seaping through the hull straight away of there are any cracks in it.

You have to be extremely brutal to fibreglass to get it to crack.

Do you remember any really hard knocks or hitting any large swells at speed or the hull slapping the water? You won't have missed it as it would have been a hell of a jolt.

Any cracks in floor? you would be surprised at how much water you drag into boat with anchor rope, little splashes over the sides etc, they all add up, so check you floor everywhere too, under mats, batteries fuel tanks etc.

Also check around where sterring cabling, etc comes from engine into hull. My boat gets water in via the tube for the sterring and cables. Not a lot but about 2 to 3 litres per trip. Nothing I am concerned about.

Hey mate,

When you said you filled your boat up how high did you fill it. I recently havd my boat letting in a little water so filled it up in the garage where the floor was bone dry. Leave it over night because some leaks will be slow unless there is pressure on them like when your driving forward. I was just about to stop filling my boat up because it was about to wet the floor and also right at the top of the water line then just before i was about to stop it started leaking with the crack right at the top of the water line.

hope that helps

Just a thought...

i once had a similar issue with water in the hull whenever i went out in the boat.

it turned out to not be the bungs but the housing that screws into the transom that the bungs attach too. unless it is a clean, neat seal then under water pressure they may be allowing water in.

i simply bought new ones, cleaned the old crud off and applied sikaflex and installed them. i then applied a bead of silaflex around them to make sure they were completely sealed.

to date i do not get one drop of water out of the bungs when i open them upon return from a day out and that has been the case for a few years now.

might not be the same in your case but well worth looking at as it is a cheap fix to try first.

cheers

Mick

Bisso is right, I had the same problem in a fibreglass boat I had years ago. The screws that hold the bung unit in place were the problem. As bisso says pull out the whol bung unti clean it up and appkly a generous layer of sikaflex before screwing back together. you amy also need to increase the gague of screws you are using. If this doesnt solve your problem, put some water in the hull with food colouring, yellow is less obvious than pink and look for yellow stains.