wanting to buy a kayak.

turningbay

Hey guys Im looking to get a kayak after I saw this video where a guy caught a marlin from a yak.

I was thinking of getting hobie adventure because

1. It is a pedal kayak so I have free hands to fish as well as I am able to troll easily without getting tired.

2. I choose adventure because i want to go fish near the ocean and it can take some waves and it is stable

the downside to adventure is that it has weight capacity of 160kg and I am 90kg and with gear probably 120 (cuz i will get a live tank 25L) that leaves me with 40kg capacity.

I always imagine me catching a big tuna or marlin one day and i dont if the kayak can hold the fish.

The other option is to get the ocean kayak 4.7 ultra. that kayak has 260kg capacity, but it is not a pedal kayak and I dont want to troll all day with my arms and i also dont want to get the motor.

anyhow guys, do you guys thinking 40kg of weight capacity is enough if i want to catch tunas and marlin in a years time? and of cuz i need to lose weight so i can have more capacity on my kayak =P

Hey guys Im looking to get a kayak after I saw this video where a guy caught a marlin from a yak.

1. It is a pedal kayak so I have free hands to fish as well as I am able to troll easily without getting tired.

2. I choose adventure because i want to go fish near the ocean and it can take some waves and it is stable

the downside to adventure is that it has weight capacity of 160kg and I am 90kg and with gear probably 120 (cuz i will get a live tank 25L) that leaves me with 40kg capacity.

I always imagine me catching a big tuna or marlin one day and i dont if the kayak can hold the fish.

The other option is to get the ocean kayak 4.7 ultra. that kayak has 260kg capacity, but it is not a pedal kayak and I dont want to troll all day with my arms and i also dont want to get the motor.

anyhow guys, do you guys thinking 40kg of weight capacity is enough if i want to catch tunas and marlin in a years time? and of cuz i need to lose weight so i can have more capacity on my kayak =P

You're worried about exerting too much energy trolling a lure by paddling and yet think you're going to be able to bring in a tuna or marlin in a kayak? :074: The guys that chase game fish from kayaks have been paddling for years, I wouldn't pedal a kayak any further than I could comfortably paddle it. Mirage drives can and have failed. Hooking up to a fish like that will almost certainly result in being towed kilometres away from shore.

Assuming you prove me wrong and hook and land one of these amazing animals you're still left with the problem of getting it to shore. I don't think you're going to want to have it sitting on your lap, even if your kayak could handle the load. Even a ~5 metre kayak is going to feel mighty small when you've got a thrashing marlin yakside. Some of the more serious offshore yak anglers have taken to fibreglass skis (Stealth, Eric etc) which can store sizeable fish in their hulls, and handle big seas. But of course the tradeoff is these require paddling, and I doubt even these craft could store a marlin.

Large tuna and marlin from kayaks remain the extreme end of the yak fishing scene, you're really breaking new ground when you target these beasts and few will be able to tell you first hand what exactly is required. Personally I reckon tag and release would be the only feasible option from a kayak, unless you're being followed by someone in a boat. I suppose if you're serious you could look into the Hobie Adventure Island with a tramp, not sure how much weight the tramp's can carry though.

If you head over to Akff.net or Kayak Fishing Down Under you might find guys that have done/attempted it, but they'd be few and far between.

Best of luck,

Adam.

Hi mate,

Are you new to kayak fishing? The reason I ask is because whilst it's a lot fun, it does take a lot of practise (build experience), and safety is paramount, especially once you near the heads and go out beyond.

I have a Hobie Revolution (pedal), and whilst I've been kayak fishing now for about 5 years, I still feel like a novice at times. As pointed out in the other post, a lot of offshore kayak fisho's use paddle kayaks (such as the Stealth range), and of course the pedal Hobie range. The Adventure is probably the best of the Hobie bunch for offshore work....

I consider myself very fit, I train regularly (weights, cardio) and it's amazing how fast your legs pump with blood and lactic acid,niggly joint / music pains (e.g. sitting on butt) after a few km's of pedalling around the estuaries, let alone the Ocean. Throw in a Tuna or Marlin and things go to the extreme :). I had a 10kg Jewie tow me around the Bay a year ago, so can only imagine what a tuna or Marlin can do. Personally I would also never head offshore alone.

Capacity wise, if you are 90kg, and the Adventure is rated to 160kg, you should be fine with all the extra gear, and The Adventure is a very slick outfit and quick, which is what you want offshore.

Check out the other sites mentioned with the Hardcore kayakers, and there's a ton of additional info there and you can get some kayak buddies along the way.

Cheers,

Spizza

Hmmmm so much to say so litle time .

hobie adventure ,s are a great yak , But there are more stable yaks around .The pedle mirage system is great ,BUT being mechanical it can ,does, and will break down .Hobie also have a problem with hulls cracking in and around the drive system .This is why me and many other yakkers wont buy them .

now for me i would not want to hook up to fish such as what u want to chase and have the posabilaty of hull or drive failure .rare as it might be BUT it does happen .

also if u look at most of the video,s on the net on targeting these fish they are on paddle yaks NOT peddle .

another thing is u seem to want to chase these fish on a vessel in which u would need ALOT OF EXCPIERIENCE ON . i would recommend that u start off slow and gain some excpierience first maybe targeting the inshore palagics in ur area . hook onto a decent kigie and believe me u WILL HAVE UR HANDS FULL ......

it is not uncommon to be dragged around for 6 or more hrs when hooked on to a marlin . that is alot of ground to cover and return from ....

again i say "start off small and get some excpirience" .

craig

You're worried about exerting too much energy trolling a lure by paddling and yet think you're going to be able to bring in a tuna or marlin in a kayak? :074: The guys that chase game fish from kayaks have been paddling for years, I wouldn't pedal a kayak any further than I could comfortably paddle it. Mirage drives can and have failed. Hooking up to a fish like that will almost certainly result in being towed kilometres away from shore.

Assuming you prove me wrong and hook and land one of these amazing animals you're still left with the problem of getting it to shore. I don't think you're going to want to have it sitting on your lap, even if your kayak could handle the load. Even a ~5 metre kayak is going to feel mighty small when you've got a thrashing marlin yakside. Some of the more serious offshore yak anglers have taken to fibreglass skis (Stealth, Eric etc) which can store sizeable fish in their hulls, and handle big seas. But of course the tradeoff is these require paddling, and I doubt even these craft could store a marlin.

Large tuna and marlin from kayaks remain the extreme end of the yak fishing scene, you're really breaking new ground when you target these beasts and few will be able to tell you first hand what exactly is required. Personally I reckon tag and release would be the only feasible option from a kayak, unless you're being followed by someone in a boat. I suppose if you're serious you could look into the Hobie Adventure Island with a tramp, not sure how much weight the tramp's can carry though.

If you head over to Akff.net or Kayak Fishing Down Under you might find guys that have done/attempted it, but they'd be few and far between.

Best of luck,

Adam.

I am not worried about using too much energy with my arms in the paddling with lures, it more about me paddling with a livebait behind and always have that right tension with the line. I thought the whole concept of pedalling is that ur lower body has more muscles and can make you go faster and longer.

and thanks for your suggestion about once you get a fish it is hard to pedal i guess i have to paddle once i get a fish

Hi mate,

Are you new to kayak fishing? The reason I ask is because whilst it's a lot fun, it does take a lot of practise (build experience), and safety is paramount, especially once you near the heads and go out beyond.

I have a Hobie Revolution (pedal), and whilst I've been kayak fishing now for about 5 years, I still feel like a novice at times. As pointed out in the other post, a lot of offshore kayak fisho's use paddle kayaks (such as the Stealth range), and of course the pedal Hobie range. The Adventure is probably the best of the Hobie bunch for offshore work....

I consider myself very fit, I train regularly (weights, cardio) and it's amazing how fast your legs pump with blood and lactic acid,niggly joint / music pains (e.g. sitting on butt) after a few km's of pedalling around the estuaries, let alone the Ocean. Throw in a Tuna or Marlin and things go to the extreme :). I had a 10kg Jewie tow me around the Bay a year ago, so can only imagine what a tuna or Marlin can do. Personally I would also never head offshore alone.

Capacity wise, if you are 90kg, and the Adventure is rated to 160kg, you should be fine with all the extra gear, and The Adventure is a very slick outfit and quick, which is what you want offshore.

Check out the other sites mentioned with the Hardcore kayakers, and there's a ton of additional info there and you can get some kayak buddies along the way.

Cheers,

Spizza

i am new to kayak fishing, however i use to do kayaking regularly during high school. i guess kayaking is not as easy as it seems to be.

i am new to kayak fishing, however i use to do kayaking regularly during high school. i guess kayaking is not as easy as it seems to be.

It's not complicated, it's more a matter of building experience, especially if you plan to go offshore fishing in a kayak. Check out Yakass, - check out his awesome offshore footage from the Nth Coast etc. http://yakass.net/.

cheers,

Spizza.