Jew Fish Hunt - Chippo

Joco

Afternoon lads,

Keeping an eye out on the weather it finally started becoming overcast, i thought i might try my luck and head to the local Chipping Norton Lake for a flick targeting jew fish... :1fishing1: Havent been there in a while...

Woke up at 5am, got minimal gear and was on the water by 6am....

I was running Solo since the boys slept in....

No wind, still stinky, hot and humid the short walk made me sweat like a pig....

Upon arrival the water clarity was very good and there was plenty of activity on the surface of the water....

Mullet jumping, bait fish everywhere, i thought to myself i may have luck today....

Using a 4kg rod, 6lb fireline, 8lb mono leader and a 1000 reel, i wacked on a nice 14gram (1/2 ounce) jig head and a 80mm Squidgy paddle tail.

The run out tide was pretty strong and i needed something heavy to reach the 5m-6m bottom...

Started casting and within a few minutes my drag goes off and after a short burst, it spat the splastic out.. :ranting2:

DOESN'T matter persistency is the key....

After a good hour of fishing when the tide started slowing down, i got a good smack and this time my Shimano reel started screaming... I tightened the drag to 90% AND when i thought it was about to slow down, it started to scream even more.... OOOOOHHHHHHH yeah baby :yahoo::yahoo: ( A good way to break in the NEW Shimano Stella reel)....

Fighting the fish for a good 5-10 minutes, which seemed forever, my hand started showing signs of fatigue (due to the Jigging session on Friday - see Game Fishing thread My link)... I was in pain.... The rod was flexing to its max and once i thought the fish had enough, there she goes AGAIN screaming.... Taking a lot of line out, it took me a while to gain the line back each run, in total i had a good x6 runs, if my memory serves me correct.... I had to swap hands and rest for a bit :wife: i was becoming soft.... I questioned myself "How the hell am i going to pull this beast out, i am alone, no net, no hook, no nothing"...

Eventually i brought the fish to a good 2-3 meters away from the shore and it dove down to the bottom...

Trying to pull the fish from the bottom was IMPOSSIBLE, it was a solid unit and my 4 kg rod was no match.....

I waited for a bit, started to come up and after a few more head shakes it got offff.... F@@@@!#^*** NNNNOOOOOOO :ranting2::ranting2:

Foul language echoed throughout the whole area....

ANYWAY i continued and got a baby Jewie compared to the one i lost.... THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY....

It measured just under 60cm.... PUT up a good fight as well....

I will return tonight, this time prepared with a net, an extra person, BUT knowing my luck and catching the BIGer fish only happens when i am least prepared...

img0455av.jpg

img0463zm.jpg

Edited by Joco

Nice work Joey,but if you keep sending me pics on my mob while I am at work I might have to ban you :074::074:

Glad you decided to add the shoe to the jew pic :thumbup:

Cheers Stewy

great read and nice fish. sorry about the one that got away - gives u an excuse to go back tonight ; ) by the way i never thought mulloway woud be in chipping norton lake not that i no the lake very well, the only part of it i been to is near that big tower lookout thingy

THANKS fellas...

YEAH the Jewies are in Chippo, BUT catching then on soft plastics is a mission....

DONT worry STEWY, there will be plenty MORE photos being sent to your mobile phone in the early hours of the morning...