New sounder

camb1988

Hey guys, wanting some advice as to what sort of sounder I should be getting for my tinny. Have finally got some money together so will be picking one up in the next month. We usually fish inside the heads as my boat is only 14ft and I have no epirb. Looking at spending around 700-900 and was wanting something useful instead of an expensive toy. any help would be greatly appreciated as I have no clue.

Cheers

Edited by camb1988

Mate I have the Garmin 400c, it does the job for me, but I also find it plays up a bit at random. The degrees gauge won't show on the screen all the time, or the depth will change from 9M to 1M all of a sudden.

I personally like the Lowrance elite, I think I will be getting that next.

furuno is the snap on of sounders, I only bought an ls4100, with a p66 transducer which is almost 500w, my uncle has the upper version with the 1kw version with the fcv-585. but he is a game fisherman. me I found that the ls4100, has extreme quality although black and white, shows with out hassle where fish or bait schools are. I bought it second hand for $250 while it retails at 500 tho. Guess its not what you want.

Edited by Rafinx

I just got the furuno fcv 620 which is just like the 585 only smaller and without the 1 kw which you wont need anyway. I got it from the states for $950 and its an awesome unit.

They are beautiful units, when ive hit my career up and runnning (policing) ill be buying the 620, because I dont see myself fishing outside waters often.

Cheers for all the advice guys. After looking around a bit more i think im leaning towards the lowrance elite 5 dsi fishfinder and chartplotter. Does anyone have one or has anyone heard anything about how they go? Also how handy is the chartplotter function as there are similar models ive looked at $300 cheaper just without the chartplotter. Cheers

Edited by camb1988