Hard going at Botany Bay..... 06/02/11

dhype

hey raiders

Quick report from botany bay this morning...

It was very hard fishing today and pretty much fished from 6:30am till 11am for very little...

While heading across the bay found a massive school of bonitos and tailor.. pulled a few over the boat for the smoker box.. YUM! biggrin2.gif

Left the bonnies and chopper biting to find some squid. Managed to pulled in 10 decent squid in very little time.. went to soak these live/whole and only could boat 2 x kings going 62cm each. thumbdown.gif

The southerly winds picked up at 11am so headed back in for home...all in all a very poor day today but I guess there is always next week!.

See ya all on the water!

Cheers

Trung

post-10545-086127000 1296990454_thumb.jpg

post-10545-070857100 1296990416_thumb.jpg

post-10545-025026300 1296990519_thumb.jpg

Hey Trung, same thing here. I was out on sat & the kings didn't want to play either. Only 4 going around the 60cm mark. They were showing up on the sounder but for some reason they just weren't interested. Might give the harbour a go next weekend, chase some bigger kings hehehe. P.S. I was keeping an eye out for the pink noodle on sat hehehe

Hey dhype,

would rather that catch than a poke in the eye! What are the bonnies like smoked? And as you say theres next weekend!

Tight lines

Hi there -

I find bonitos smoke up rather well... one of the best fish to smoke in my opinion. You should try it!

Tailor also come up a treat but kingfish taste rather ordinary when smoked.

Cheers

Trung

And that's what U call a "poor day"?!!! :insane:

hahahah - when you get use to boating 20+ kings in a session in the past few weeks this weekends efforts of 2 kings in 4 hours sucked!

at least there were plenty of squid around....

cheers

dhype

Hey Trung, same thing here. I was out on sat & the kings didn't want to play either. Only 4 going around the 60cm mark. They were showing up on the sounder but for some reason they just weren't interested. Might give the harbour a go next weekend, chase some bigger kings hehehe. P.S. I was keeping an eye out for the pink noodle on sat hehehe

hey there quintrex -

i was also on the water on saturday and the fish were also not playing ball.... at least you got 4 kings... i only managed a tank full of squid!

i tried looking for your boat but there are 101 quintrex's at the molli car park every weekend!

Good luck at the harbour this weekend!... i'll be sticking with botany bay cuz my boat is too small for the harbour!

cheers

Trung

Hey Trung,

Your poor day would be regarded as a great day for most of us, you still actually managed to catch fish in the first place, and got to take some fish/squid home for a feed.

Well Done!

Regards,

Long.

hey there quintrex -

i was also on the water on saturday and the fish were also not playing ball.... at least you got 4 kings... i only managed a tank full of squid!

i tried looking for your boat but there are 101 quintrex's at the molli car park every weekend!

Good luck at the harbour this weekend!... i'll be sticking with botany bay cuz my boat is too small for the harbour!

cheers

Trung

I'll swap you the 4 kings (that you can put back in the water) for your tank full of squid :biggrin2: True about the quintrex's that end up in the bay most weekends, maybe I should name it. Actually, I should have taken the fishraider sticker off my old boat and stuck it on my new one, check out the pic (I assume a FR member owned this boat in the past??). Yeah hope to land something decent in the harbour instead of rats.

post-16665-011768800 1297079423_thumb.jpg

Edited by quintrex480

Hey Trung,

I can imaging how bad you felt after only 2 kingies.

We often get spoilt when the fishing is good and we get used to catching them.

One lesson I've learnt in life is that if the fishing is really good all the time, we get a bit bored and it becomes routine.

While it doesn't feel so good to strike out on the fishing occasionally, it is a good thing in the longer term because it restores our enthusiasm for next time.

Psychologically, we have something to prove when we get back out there. We want to prove to ourselves and others that we can still catch them.

We check all our knots, recheck drags, sharpen hooks, reorganise our gear in the boat, get our burley organised - when we get back out there, we mean BUSINESS !

...and that's when we get that special fish hookup and we LAND it....because we were prepared, organised and we were PUMPED !

I think I'll give the kingies a go next weekend - I need a change of pace from the bream'n'whiting.

I used to do a lot of kingfishing years ago on the offshore reefs - time to get that nostalgic feeling again - in the bay this time.

Tell me, when you anchor on Molineux point, do you use a reef anchor or sand anchor?

Hi there -

I find bonitos smoke up rather well... one of the best fish to smoke in my opinion. You should try it!

Tailor also come up a treat but kingfish taste rather ordinary when smoked.

Cheers

Trung

they go pretty good as sushi aswell, bit of fresh ginger and soysauce, yum