Going for mahi mahi

dmad_dood

Hi everyone. Ive caught some nice kings this season and ever since i started fishing i've always wanted to catch a mahi mahi! So the question i have is whats the best way to go for them i.e. bait, lures, outfit etc.. and where must i go for them?

Thanks for the help, im seeing everyone catching them on the forum so now is as good a chance as ever.

Jono

Thanks fishmaniac but now another question :) is the fads the only place to catch them? And where are the fads?

Thanks again..

The FADs or other floatsome are your best options. Most of the bigger fish lately have been caught trolling wide. It takes a lot of time, fuel and a good spread of lures to land a few big ones if you get lucky.

The dollies have been a bit hit and miss on the FADs and traps lately. It is still early in the season albeit the warm water. I was out wednesday last week and got a few. Returned on friday and nothing was around.

You can find the GPS co-ordinates of the FADs on the NSW fisheries website. Keep your eye out for trap bouys as that is often where you get your best action.