Boat choices- Plates or Press

Formosan

Been researching boats and after some opinions. Want a tough stable and hard wearing boat, for venturing mostly inside and Occasionally outside the heads in a runabout configuration.

Would a 4.8 or 5.1 length do the job?

Are plates better than press? Last longer and stronger?

In the press corner,

Quintrex or stacer? specs pretty much the same say in a 5 metre range..

Quintrex looks fatter at the bow. Stacer has thicker side sheets.

In the Plate corner.

Been looking at Formosa, TABs, Stessl

Which is better? built quality handlign ride and longevity?

Is it true that after 2006 , it is mandatory that all boats have level floation or a seal hull?

Thanks for reading

Hi wrongbait,

It is true about the floatation from 2006 on new vessels.

As for a pressed boats, you cant go past a Quintex millenium hull. I have one & many of my have them also.

I initally wanted a different pressed make but riding in a quintrex made me choose one for saftey & stability.

Plate boats are tougher & heavier. Im not sure about there configuration I wouldnt like to comment on them.

I havent had the pleasure to ride in them.

good luck I reseached for approx 4years before I made my decision.

cheers

zed

How many people are you taking out and where do you plan on going most and what for ?

None of the boats you mentioned are 'true' plate boats, in my eyes anyway.

The Quintrex and Stacer range are good, but abit overpriced if your buying new, they do ride good, but there are alot of options out there. No aluminum boat is 'bad' and i've been in alot of boats, it just depends where your using it mate.

I'd recommend looking at all brands, Stessl, Savage, AllyCraft, Etc.. & don't limit your options, make sure you get a good outboard on the back, bargain hard and enjoy some time on the water

Alphabet,

LOL @ 4 years researching, Hopefully it won't take me that long.

Which pressed boat did you ride and compare with the Quintrex?

Does a mellenium hull incoporate a reverse chine?

It is strange how a Stacer and a Quintrex comes out of the same factory ,Telwater ..and claims to

be so different to each other.

Hi wrongbait,

It is true about the floatation from 2006 on new vessels.

As for a pressed boats, you cant go past a Quintex millenium hull. I have one & many of my have them also.

I initally wanted a different pressed make but riding in a quintrex made me choose one for saftey & stability.

Plate boats are tougher & heavier. Im not sure about there configuration I wouldnt like to comment on them.

I havent had the pleasure to ride in them.

good luck I reseached for approx 4years before I made my decision.

cheers

zed

Been researching boats and after some opinions. Want a tough stable and hard wearing boat, for venturing mostly inside and Occasionally outside the heads in a runabout configuration.

In the press corner,

In the Plate corner.

Is it true that after 2006 , it is mandatory that all boats have level floation or a seal hull?

Thanks for reading

Hi,

IMO personally i dont rate the ride of any quintrex hull in heavy chop. This may offend many quinny owners because they swear by them. I reckon the stacer is a little better but i would lean towards the formosa myself(if i had to choose alloy). ultimately you cant beat the ride and handling of a quality fiberglass boat eg Haines Hunter/signature, seafarer or cruisecraft etc.

Edited by DTROJAN

Are you saying these are not true plates?Formosa, TABs, Stessl.

what is a true plate boat in your view and give us some brand names.

There use to be Allycraft and Allyplate , Allyplate being the plated range.

They have good boats but the company is no longer in business, only floor stocks available.

Yep 4 stroke as an outboard for sure.

How many people are you taking out and where do you plan on going most and what for ?

None of the boats you mentioned are 'true' plate boats, in my eyes anyway.

The Quintrex and Stacer range are good, but abit overpriced if your buying new, they do ride good, but there are alot of options out there. No aluminum boat is 'bad' and i've been in alot of boats, it just depends where your using it mate.

I'd recommend looking at all brands, Stessl, Savage, AllyCraft, Etc.. & don't limit your options, make sure you get a good outboard on the back, bargain hard and enjoy some time on the water

Why the Formosa you been in one?

...Thats what everyone says but Iam shying away from fibre glass, Due to the weight and they don't come out well when you accidently drive across some submerge rocks. :)

Hi,

IMO personally i dont rate the ride of any quintrex hull in heavy chop. This may offend many quinny owners because they swear by them. I reckon the stacer is a little better but i would lean towards the formosa myself(if i had to choose alloy). ultimately you cant beat the ride and handling of a quality fiberglass boat eg Haines Hunter/signature, seafarer or cruisecraft etc.

Argghhh *faceplam*

I remember a huge argument over this, don't worry mate, there all plate boats. I got confused haha.

So you want brand new ? why don't you look second hand ?

There's a real nice Quintrex 490 on an auction site, with a 90hp Merc optimax for 26k.

Edited by cut_loose

Cut_loose, yeah I also read some shit fight over "true plate" boats, Awhile ago.

Wether true plate or not..Just for my education and others .Since you own a Allycraft you might know what the difference between an Allycraft and an Allyplate?

Comparing the specs, I can see the general trend is the plate boats have thicker bottoms and sides.

Yeah mate, i've got 2 Ally Crafts. Telwater bought them out and shut the factory down or something ? The Ally Plate look to be an awesome looking boat, but tbh i'm happy with my pressed sides, doesn't bother me, still good :)

The plate boats are pressed differently or something i can't remember, either way it's not like the boat's just gonna break or something and all hulls are good.

Hi, alot of advise and let me start by saying I choose to stock and sell what I do because I believe they are the best. One thing you mention is LEVEL floatation and no not all brands have LEVEL floatation, most only have BASIC floatation and really in the pressed market only the Telwater built Stacer and Quintrex have LEVEL floatation and it is a great safety factor and makes for a quiet ride due to the foam being up the sides as well as underfloor. Both are fine boats but the EVO hull is a proven hull shape and why all glass boats and most plate boats AT THE STERN have a deep vee and reverse chines-it works. The Stacer also have the full bow to aid in bouyancy when the bow gets buired and do not bow steer. As you mentioned the Stacer has thicker material, nice rolled sides, bump rubber on the gunwhales and some more options in the standard package, which we can price up with any technology of outboard a boater wants.

As for plate vs pressed, yes a good custom made plate boat will be heavier and ride better than say a Stacer, but a Stacer is a better boat than some "cheap" plate boats. Also some plate hulls tend to be very drumming in the water and most do not have any form of foam floatation under the floor and can and do sink.

My best advise is get a short list of the brands you like and then price them up and if within budget buying new and getting warranty is a big plus.

Of all the alloy boats I have ever being in the NZ built Aqualine range we import can not be beaten for ride, stabilty, build quality and attention to detail, but they are also dearer than the production models like Stacer/Quintrex and 90% of plate boats but as I said the ride is unbeatable and the safety and stability of the pontoons are great.

If you have any questions i can help with feel free to call me,

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

I had this same argument with myself over 12 months back. Pressed vs Plate, company, vs company. Everyone is different and have different needs/expectations of their use for a boat. All i can talk about is my experience in my search 12 months back and my experiences with my boat now.

My intended use was mainly inshore work with the ability to bash around in rivers as well as make it to the shelf and back.

I ended up with a Formosa 480 Centre Console. I preferred the extra weight of the plate vs pressed, especially in sloppy or swelly conditions. The 4mm bottom and 3mm sides is up there with best in the class. It has incredibly deep sides and keeps you reasonably dry for a CC. I've been outside in horrible conditions and it's handled very well. The CC layout has most of the weight at the stern but if your going for a runabout style you shouldn't have the issues of aft weight. One good thing i've noticed with Formosa is any dissimilar metals are separated by what i think is lanolin. This stops galvanic corrosion. i was very impressed with this little addition, as i've had aftermarket additions put on and some corrosion is visible where they haven't been so thorough.

I also looked at the Tabs range but at the time they went into liquidation or something and i wasn't too impressed then. Not sure if this has changed or not.

I get comments continually at the ramp about the deceiving size, it look smuch bigger than its overall length. Would i buy another one? Definately, i've been mightily impressed! But if my budget could stretch i'd be looking at a Yellowfin.

I matched mine with an E-tec 75 and i haven't had a problem. New Yamaha 70 4-stoke would be an option as well but it wasn't out when i brought my boat.

Hope it helps mate.

Thanks For the info Huey, Might drop by and check out the stacers.

Hi, alot of advise and let me start by saying I choose to stock and sell what I do because I believe they are the best. One thing you mention is LEVEL floatation and no not all brands have LEVEL floatation, most only have BASIC floatation and really in the pressed market only the Telwater built Stacer and Quintrex have LEVEL floatation and it is a great safety factor and makes for a quiet ride due to the foam being up the sides as well as underfloor. Both are fine boats but the EVO hull is a proven hull shape and why all glasee boats and plate boats AT THE STERN have a deep vee and reverse chines-it works. The Stacer also have the full bow to add in bouyancy when the bow gets buired and do not bow steer. As you mentioned the Stacer has thicker material, nice rolled sides, bump rubber on the gunwhales and some more options in the standard package, which we can price up with any technology of outboard a boater wants.

As for plate vs pressed, yes a good custom made plate boat will be heavier and ride better than say a Stacer, but a Stacer is a better boat than some "cheap" plate boats. Also some plate hulls tend to be very drumming in the water and most do not have any form of foam floatation under the floor and can and do sink.

My best advise is get a short list of the brands you like and then price them up and if within budget buying new and getting warranty is a big plus.

Of all the alloy boats I have ever being in the NZ built Aqualine range we import can not be beaten for ride, stabilty, build quality and attention to detail, but they are also dearer than the production models like Stace/Quintrex.

If you have any questions i can help with feel free to call me,

Cheers,

Huey.

SWR, been looking at the Formosa alot,

The 4.80 CC you got, is it a classic or a Tommahawk? has it got level or basic floatation?

Apparently there is a new classic Mark 3 model out.

Only the Tommahawk has the reverse chines, wonder if it is worth having reverse chines.

To my limit knowledge it helps to deflect water back down.

I had this same argument with myself over 12 months back. Pressed vs Plate, company, vs company. Everyone is different and have different needs/expectations of their use for a boat. All i can talk about is my experience in my search 12 months back and my experiences with my boat now.

My intended use was mainly inshore work with the ability to bash around in rivers as well as make it to the shelf and back.

I ended up with a Formosa 480 Centre Console. I preferred the extra weight of the plate vs pressed, especially in sloppy or swelly conditions. The 4mm bottom and 3mm sides is up there with best in the class. It has incredibly deep sides and keeps you reasonably dry for a CC. I've been outside in horrible conditions and it's handled very well. The CC layout has most of the weight at the stern but if your going for a runabout style you shouldn't have the issues of aft weight. One good thing i've noticed with Formosa is any dissimilar metals are separated by what i think is lanolin. This stops galvanic corrosion. i was very impressed with this little addition, as i've had aftermarket additions put on and some corrosion is visible where they haven't been so thorough.

I also looked at the Tabs range but at the time they went into liquidation or something and i wasn't too impressed then. Not sure if this has changed or not.

I get comments continually at the ramp about the deceiving size, it look smuch bigger than its overall length. Would i buy another one? Definately, i've been mightily impressed! But if my budget could stretch i'd be looking at a Yellowfin.

I matched mine with an E-tec 75 and i haven't had a problem. New Yamaha 70 4-stoke would be an option as well but it wasn't out when i brought my boat.

Hope it helps mate.

Our family has had a 5.5 meter TABS half cab for two and a half years and the yamaha 115hp 4stroke has just clicked over 300hrs. We hardly have a single complaint about either the hull or the motor, the yammie has not missed a beat. As for the hull (and this is my opinion only) it murders comparable stacers and quinnies in how it eats up chop, they are a little dearer than the brands mentioned but when we started looking for aboat we had our heart set on a quintrex but now couldnt be happier with what we have. Of course if you have the money I'd go for a bar crusher, but if you don't then dont dismiss a Tabs

SWR, been looking at the Formosa alot,

The 4.80 CC you got, is it a classic or a Tommahawk? has it got level or basic floatation?

Apparently there is a new classic Mark 3 model out.

Only the Tommahawk has the reverse chines, wonder if it is worth having reverse chines.

To my limit knowledge it helps to deflect water back down.

I have the classic, although i have seen the tomohawk and the missus said i got a little too excited....

What i like about the tomohawk is the fully sealed deck and reverse chines. While i think reverse chines would make a little improvement i still think CC'c no matter what you do are a "wet boat". Fully sealing the deck would be a bonus, im constantly wary of a "lost" split shot sinker or swivel that gets under the floor.

Mine is a classic 2010 model with basic flotation. I've pulled the floors up and it's chock-a-block full of foam under there. I'll have to look at the "mark 3" model and see what difference there is.

Why the Formosa you been in one?

...Thats what everyone says but Iam shying away from fibre glass, Due to the weight and they don't come out well when you accidently drive across some submerge rocks. :)

Gday,

was once convinced that all new alloy boats ran like crap but after a recent ride in a formosa i was impressed. Still no comparison to the many glass boats i fish out of. I believe its the weight of a glass boat thats contributes to the smooth ride. Personally i think if you drive across submerged rocks in any boat you are just about screwed. A good mate of mine had a quintrex and after travelling in my small boat ( 1985 haines signature 15.5ft ($6000)) decided to sell his boat for 20k and "upgrade" to a 1986 model fiberglass caribbean for $5500.00 and bought the :wife: a new kitchen with the change. He now goes out comfortably in conditions that he never even considered before. In the end everyone was happy. I know it sounds like im anti alloy but thats not true because i own 3 alloy boats aswell. Mine are all dehavillands though....ugly dinosaurs, built to last.

Edited by DTROJAN

TABs as the name suggest Tough Aussie Boats.

What year model is yours and does it have any safety floatation if it gets swamp?

Very good looking boat very beamy.

Our family has had a 5.5 meter TABS half cab for two and a half years and the yamaha 115hp 4stroke has just clicked over 300hrs. We hardly have a single complaint about either the hull or the motor, the yammie has not missed a beat. As for the hull (and this is my opinion only) it murders comparable stacers and quinnies in how it eats up chop, they are a little dearer than the brands mentioned but when we started looking for aboat we had our heart set on a quintrex but now couldnt be happier with what we have. Of course if you have the money I'd go for a bar crusher, but if you don't then dont dismiss a Tabs

theres compromises to be made going both ways ally/fg .....

i prefer glass as the extra weight is better ride and i suffer sea sickness sometimes..

the style of the hull also helps as i went from a pongrass to a 5.3 haines signature and the deep v and hull style of signature gives me a better ride than my mates 600 quinny offshore..

if i was looking again it would be plate if alloy as weight and ride should be better than pressed hulls if build is good...

pm sent on a good boat i know for sale...

good luck...

cheers...steve.....

In the press corner,

In the Plate corner.

Thanks for reading

mate i went through the same process looking for a alum boat, after a few months reviewing and test riding the Quins, Stessl and Formosa, i decided on a formosa 580 with a 130 etec. i found geting the boat off/on at the ramp is surprisingly easy (can do one person) compared to the the other two we trialled (but this has alot to do with the trailer and set up). in regards to chop and swell it also seemed to out handle the Quin and Stessl still had the typical slapping of a alum but less than the other two. at rest all three seemed to be matched for body roll. the formosa hits the pocket a little harder than the other two. I saved about 10K though geting the boat in QLD and transporting it down. have had the Formosa now for just under a year and cant fault it.

theres a fairly decent magazine out at the moment with reviews alum boats (cant remember the name) pos/negs etc which i used as a guide, i think its published each year.

Good Luck

cheers

Dan

Edited by DANDRE

Dandre

Looks like it is stacking up towards the Formosa. Did u get the classic or tomahawk?

Trailers with rollers would make it easy to launch? Is that what u r alluding to?

Wrongbait

mate i decided on the classic, dual axle trailer with rollers. Based on ride, user ease and overall feel i personally went the Formosa over the Quin or stessl. the only major mod i am thinking of making with the Formosa is weight ( maybe small balasts or something adjustable) to lower the centre of gravity . it seems to ride better and roll less at anchor with a add on weight greater than 3-4 adults. the quins and stessl boats are great but i found the Formosa the better choice for me, but again there is a notable price difference.

Dan

Edited by DANDRE

I saw your boat around the habour chasing kings. Nice glass boat.

Thanks for the PM, the Cuddy is not exactly what I was looking for.

theres compromises to be made going both ways ally/fg .....

i prefer glass as the extra weight is better ride and i suffer sea sickness sometimes..

the style of the hull also helps as i went from a pongrass to a 5.3 haines signature and the deep v and hull style of signature gives me a better ride than my mates 600 quinny offshore..

if i was looking again it would be plate if alloy as weight and ride should be better than pressed hulls if build is good...

pm sent on a good boat i know for sale...

good luck...

cheers...steve.....