Botany Bay - 13/02/2010

dhype

Hi Raiders

Report from this morning's outing..

Hit the water at 6:30am and went to gather some squid... it was hard work but managed to get 6 nice size squid after moving around a bit to find them.

With a tank 1/2 full of live squid set off to Molli point to soak them....

Put out 1 rod with a whole live squid, 1 rod with squid strips and I also flicked around some large soft plastics while I waited.

The live squid lasted less than 5 minutes before getting chomped and the baitrunner starts screaming... after a good fight up come a nice 66cm king!

post-10545-097252600 1297565471_thumb.jpg

Re-baited with another live squid and less an a minute later it goes off again! But this time a smaller rat....

post-10545-087739300 1297565587_thumb.jpg

Fished the same area for about 2 hours and landed 6 kings in total with 2 being legal (65cm and 66cm) and the other between 55 to 63cm.

The kings were extreme fussy today and did not like the strip squid at all but preferring the whole live units...with only 6 squids in the tank they did not last long at all.

Managed to also land one of the kings on a 7inch Bozo lure which is always fun...

At about 10am the wind picked up really strong so I headed back to the ramp (out of squid anyway)... while rounding Molli point I was called over by two chaps in a 5m fibreglass boat who was having engine problems and asked for a tow back in. Now... conditions were getting very crappy indeed and I only have a 25HP motor in my 3.9m tinny so you can imagine the going was very slow and wet back in!

Luckily , half way back to the ramp, the NSW marine rescue boat spots us and lends a hand in towing the hapless pair back to the ramp.thumbup.gif

I got back to the ramp and spoke to a few other boaties and most of them caught absolutely nothing today so I guess I was lucky to take home a small feed of kings.

Now I just have to wait for another 6 days till next weekend to do this all over again1crybaby.gif

Cheers

Trung / DHYPE

Edited by dhype

Hey Trung

Love reading your posts and your successes in the Bay. Well done :thumbup: I fish the Bay reasonably regularly but I need to get onto live bait like you. Draging around dead pillies just doesn't help me in my kingie endeavours.

Cheers

Peter

Hey Trung

Love reading your posts and your successes in the Bay. Well done :thumbup: I fish the Bay reasonably regularly but I need to get onto live bait like you. Draging around dead pillies just doesn't help me in my kingie endeavours.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter -

Pillies? The only thing pillies are good for is berley!

I have never done well with frozen pillies at botany so i catch all my bait these days... the cost of buying bait also adds up if you got out often....

Grab yourself some live yakkas or squids and hit the kings....best thing is they are all free!

Cheers

Trung

Edited by dhype

Guest Aussie007

nice kingys i was thinking they had moved on well done :thumbup: and your a good sport helping out the blokes who had broken down some boaters just drive strait past looking and dont stop

Hey Trung

Cheers

Peter

Hey Peter,

mate was doing the same thing until a year ago. i would def suggest go livies mate, cheap and easy to get the set up started ($60-$70) and the payoff is great. ive been hitting botany almost every weekend for the past couple of months now always better results with livies. the runs of the king is unforgettable. Simular to Trung went out on sunday caught about a dozen undersize rats one keeper 67cm and half a dozen 30cm ish bream.

Dan

post-15223-044748800 1297645308_thumb.jpg

post-15223-040306900 1297645313_thumb.jpg

hey Trung, great to hear that you landed some. My cousin was out last Tuesday and manged 2 jews! 65 and 80cm, this was around 10:30AM, some ppl have all the luck!!!, he got a few rats, bonnies, bream as well. Well, this tempted me to go last Thursday and the kings are sure getting picky now, they wouldn't touch the yakkas, they were showing up on the sounder but just weren't interested, whereas a couple of weeks ago, they were going for everything, from stinky prawns to pillies. Hopefully they are this we :biggrin2: ekend!

To Trung and Dan,

Thanks for your encouragement and I will definately go to the bait grounds, get some livies and do it properly in the future. Keep an eye out on the forum and I will let you know how I go. All the best guys. :thumbup:

Cheers

Peter

Well done guys!

We got out on Saturday morning (late) in a light drizzle.

It started to get really windy and we couldn't even pick up live bait. I swear there was only 3 other boats out in the whole of Botany!

When the big southerly showed up, it was a long and really wet ride back to the ramp... went home emptyhanded!

Should have stayed in bed! :(

Miker, I always jump onto seabreeze the night before and check out the wind first before deciding to head out. Wind has been pretty consistent lately, always calm from early morning till around midday.

Seabreeze is the way to go for sure...

I am constantly surprised how accurate seabreeze is... it will predict the wind change to the hour and it has yet to fail me.

If you fish out of a small boat like myself, seabreeze is GOD!

cheers

Trung

Mate you are the man...if not before I will be down at easter for sure.. and would love to meet up with you for some guided help around the bay catching bait and kings :thumbup: Way to go mate great post

Hey Yarraone -

Mate - it will be great to meet up with you again!

Just give me a yell when you head down to Sydney and i'll show you around BB... hopefully get some fish too! (no guarantees though - i'm just a rookie !!!!!) biggrin2.gif

Cheers

Trung