From Bream To Striped Marlin

wacko

Hi Everyone,

What a great summer it has been! :thumbup:

I have been busy fishing with lots of different folks (still boatless at the mo.) Feel privilaged to get invited many times.

It's been great fishing such a diverse range of styles and it's also been rewarding watching newcomers get their first bream or bass or marlin etc.! I've learnt a lot along the way too....it's been a two way street! :thumbup:

A quick run-down:

Bream sessions-

Lately it's all been about surface lures.:)....... Teasing a big bream into crunching a lure right at the boat is heart pumping stuff! I never get tired of it.

Watching some people who have never done it and looking at the expressions on thier faces when packs of hungry bream come racing behind a rock to slam a popper is even better!!

We have had some great sessions with 30+ fish landed and some of those have been brutes!

W've been fishing the Hawkesbury, Lake Mac, Brisbane waters and all systems have been on fire!

Outside sessions-

Boy have it been good lately!

Recent captures include 2 Small black Marlin just north of the peak. 1 Decent Black wide off Long Reef... Big Dollies......a Wahoo...and just last week, a Big Striped marlin off Terrigal.

This was Brad's and Ben's first marlin. They invited me out and with condtions looking good, we made our way off Terrigal.

Warmer water was to the East, but with recent reports of fish in close, I put out a spread basically 300mtrs from the boat ramp.

We got the hit just inside the shelf line and was it a ripper!! A big Striped marlin going berko on the surface then she went deep and stayed deep.

Solid, even pressure and a long fight.......I grab the trace and the rest is history. :)

Lure that did the damage was a Hollowpoint in Gai-Bob colour. :)

Cheers,

Wacko.

Good Bream on a Lucky Craft Bevy Prop

post-13416-055846100 1297568576_thumb.jpg

Nick and a nice Dollie

post-13416-066519400 1297568586_thumb.jpg

Benny fighting Striped marlin on Sakana jig Rod

post-13416-077389700 1297568599_thumb.jpg

The end result.... Nice Stripie!!

post-13416-058089700 1297568613_thumb.jpg

Hi Everyone,

What a great summer it has been! :thumbup:

I have been busy fishing with lots of different folks (still boatless at the mo.) Feel privilaged to get invited many times.

It's been great fishing such a diverse range of styles and it's also been rewarding watching newcomers get their first bream or bass or marlin etc.! I've learnt a lot along the way too....it's been a two way street! :thumbup:

A quick run-down:

Bream sessions-

Lately it's all been about surface lures.:)....... Teasing a big bream into crunching a lure right at the boat is heart pumping stuff! I never get tired of it.

Watching some people who have never done it and looking at the expressions on thier faces when packs of hungry bream come racing behind a rock to slam a popper is even better!!

We have had some great sessions with 30+ fish landed and some of those have been brutes!

W've been fishing the Hawkesbury, Lake Mac, Brisbane waters and all systems have been on fire!

Outside sessions-

Boy have it been good lately!

Recent captures include 2 Small black Marlin just north of the peak. 1 Decent Black wide off Long Reef... Big Dollies......a Wahoo...and just last week, a Big Striped marlin off Terrigal.

This was Brad's and Ben's first marlin. They invited me out and with condtions looking good, we made our way off Terrigal.

Warmer water was to the East, but with recent reports of fish in close, I put out a spread basically 300mtrs from the boat ramp.

We got the hit just inside the shelf line and was it a ripper!! A big Striped marlin going berko on the surface then she went deep and stayed deep.

Solid, even pressure and a long fight.......I grab the trace and the rest is history. :)

Lure that did the damage was a Hollowpoint in Gai-Bob colour. :)

Cheers,

Wacko.

Good Bream on a Lucky Craft Bevy Prop

post-13416-055846100 1297568576_thumb.jpg

Nick and a nice Dollie

post-13416-066519400 1297568586_thumb.jpg

Benny fighting Striped marlin on Sakana jig Rod

post-13416-077389700 1297568599_thumb.jpg

The end result.... Nice Stripie!!

post-13416-058089700 1297568613_thumb.jpg

i think the bream is a better catch than the rest

Good stuff Wacko, that a nice striped marlin. The only problem this time of year is deciding what to go fishing for, with so many options in the esturies from using surface lures for bream and whiting, to chasing jews and large dusky's on soft plastics plus alot more. But as soon as those marlin start to show up in the warm currents outside I totally forget about the esturies and spend the next few months gamefishing. And with so many northern species travelling down in these currents we are seeing some great by-catches. Anyway it looking like being a cracker of a season so good luck with the rest of it.

Cheers Mosso

Hey Wacko,

There is certainly a diversification of fishing styles and targets in your post.

Luring in the rivers.

Luring in the sea.

Keeping stripey marlin,

yet releasing all the bream.

Hmmm, I think I've invented a poetic verse....

I would have done the opposite - keep them bream and release a marlin, but we all have a different view of the world and different taste buds.

Thank goodness we are all different and like something different else bream would be extinct and the marlin would be plaguing !

Those fish are all crackers - well done - and lucky you that the people you fish with can certainly put the boat on the fish and get you stretched....

All you have to do now is make some fisho friends in Sydney harbour, Botany Bay and the Hacking.....

So with fisho mates like that, you really don't need a boat, eh?

Tony

Thanks fellas!

Keflapod-

The marlin was not in the best shape for release (Trust me, I have let a lot of them go)....rather than leave it to the sharks....we decided to bring it home.

It was the boys first ever marlin and were stoked to bring it back to the ramp with all their families waiting.

Funny thing bringing a big fish like that back to the ramp.....it sure does draw a crowd!

The plus side is that we gave fish away to any random by-stander that asked for it. Not one bit of that fish went to waste. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Wacko.